Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Best tanking product for shower walls with stone resin tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been doing a lot of research as to which is the best tanking product to use on our shower walls prior to tiling.

The walls are currently made up of prowarm 12mm cement board and there is a 900x900 quad stone resin tray on the floor which I want to tape and seal to the wall board.

I have read so many different things I'm finding it hard to figure out which is the best setup! Therefore some practical advice from those that fit it day to day would be great!

I was planning on using Mapei's shower tanking kit but have read a few negative reviews about the tanking tape and the tanking emulsion getting a poor bond on the rubber part of the tape. A few people also mention the tape is quite thick.

I then liked the look of Aquaseals kit but a few people are bashing it so no idea where to go now!!

I saw someone on here recommending a Butyl self-adhesive tape with a taking emulsion over the top. This is my preferred route as the Butyl tape looks a bit more workable around the tray to wall seam etc!

Any input and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your prowarm boards are waterproof so you only need to use tape on the joints so you could just buy self adhesive waterproof tape,
this will be around £15-£20 a roll.

Theres no need to use it around the shower tray, I normally use Sticks Like or CT1 and stick the tray to the wall and then apply a bead around the tray before tiling.

When you tile make sure you leave a 2mm gap between tile and tray, after grouting has been done fill this with silicone and tool smooth.
[automerge]1583434299[/automerge]
But if you want to use the liquid type then I would be using the Tilemaster kit, best one out there imho.

Reaction score
Thanks, any tapes you’d recommend, is the Aquaseal one ok? It seems quite cheap?

How do youbed your tray, a few people have recommended Adhesive rather than a mortar mix!?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don’t over think it , just use any which is handy for you too get hold off, it’s the simplest of jobs mate, it’s not like building a space ship and trying to get to mars ;)
but to answer your question, I’ve used the liquid and stick on , and the easiest for a person who is not used to tanking like yourself is a liquid one not a stick on one .
Tilemaster , aqua seal ,mapei are all much the same and just paint on , and are around £50

Reply to Best tanking product for shower walls with stone resin tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks