Discuss Water getting under tiles of impey tanked former tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi

I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane. Impey Tanking is floor only and goes up 5 inches or so up the wall tiles.

We have been having issues with some
permanent wet grout lines. Upon inspection it looked like the wet grout areas had a lot of pin holes in them, so builder had the tiler regrout with grout 3000. We let it dry and cure.

After a first shower it looks like there is still a problem area. One line stays drenched for long time while others dried up nicely. After 24 hours water droplets are gone, but you see the white stuff that happens with water underneath grout.

I can’t see any flaws in the grout , but I reckon the silicone sealant is flawed and water goes in and travels down the membrane underneath the tiles.

Attached a picture where you can see silicone not really bonding with the grout and even coming off a bit of the porcelain tile.

When the regrouting happened they did not remove the silicone. They couldn’t have possibly replaced grout underneath silicone without damaging the bond. Or maybe they didn’t regrout that segment of grout at all and the flaw was already there.

What do you guys think? What should happen next? Can we get away just removing and redoing the silicone or do we need to rake out that line of grout , let it dry and then redo silicone

Also is there any reason my porcelain concrete- look tiles would not be bonding great with silicon? Is there a type we should be using ? Any pitfalls we should be aware of?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    740.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reaction score
Just inspected the silicone everywhere and there are more flaws.

Attached picture. What causes silicone to come off tiles like that. ? Barely used the shower

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0490.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0489.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0488.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0487.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 37

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you mean the water sits on top of the tile/grout joint? Hard to tell from pictures but there might be some lippage that might interfere with the slope. Do you have any other Before/After pictures?
The second picture speaking: looks like cracked/missing grout.

Reaction score
Do you mean the water sits on top of the tile/grout joint? Hard to tell from pictures but there might be some lippage that might interfere with the slope. Do you have any other Before/After pictures?
The second picture speaking: looks like cracked/missing grout.
Hi there

No water is flowing fine off the tiles towards the drain. The surface of the tiles and most grout dries up fine in an hour or two. But there is trapped water under the grout of the problem area circles in red. The grout line in question stays moist a long time and some drops can be seen. There is white powdery stuff as it dries a bit.

It’s getting under the grout from somewhere. I suspect the silicone.

I removed some of the silicone as the builder is coming to redo the silicone.

Let me try a higher resolution shot or two.

I think you may be right. There is some cracking. If you zoom in to where the silicone was you can see grout kind of collapsed and cracks.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi there

No water is flowing fine off the tiles towards the drain. The surface of the tiles and most grout dries up fine in an hour or two. But there is trapped water under the grout of the problem area circles in red. The grout line in question stays moist a long time and some drops can be seen. There is white powdery stuff as it dries a bit.

It’s getting under the grout from somewhere. I suspect the silicone.

I removed some of the silicone as the builder is coming to redo the silicone.

Let me try a higher resolution shot or two.

I think you may be right. There is some cracking. If you zoom in to where the silicone was you can see grout kind of collapsed and cracks.
The way a wet room works: The water penetrates the grout at first use with or without silicone. So, the water gets underneath the tile no matter what, if the wet room tray is properly pitched down towards the drain all that water drains down and dries up every time it is used.
There is always some kind of moist underneath the tile, condensation moist.
As far as the missing/cracked grout goes there is a reason why it cracks.
If you have pictures during the work that will help.

Last edited:

Reply to Water getting under tiles of impey tanked former tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks