Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

are you putting the ufh and slc down before the walls are tiled? i would leave them till after the walls are tiled as there's less chance of any damage to the cables as they could be just on the surface of the slc

D

davemul

Watcha Mike

I was going to lay the UFH, then SLC and then tile the floor first actually before I tile the walls.

Bad idea?

M

Mike

i always leave the floor till last if i can, as yours is going to be a wetroom you could tile the walls but leave the bottom row of wall tiles off then tile the floor, then the bottom row of wall tiles. this way would give you less chance of damage to the floor. i've done it that way so that the bottom row of wall tiles overlaps the floor tiles so there's less chance of a leak were they meet

D

davemul

Thanks Mike, I agree, I wanted the wall tiles overlapping the floor tiles. I need to get these walls up first though. Typically none of the poxy studs are straight!

D

davemul

Be aware of the fixed showerhead aswell, have you taken into account the tile/adhesive thickness in regard to the shower arm flange? Nothing worse than a load of thread showing or even worse if the flange/coller bottoms out on the tiles before it scews tight. You also need to make sure it tightens at the right place. Ever fitted an outside tap?

I spent about 3 hours measuring for the fixed shower head! :lol: The head is grohe aswell and the threaded spindle screws in to the angle mounted 1/2" you can see in the pic. The shower head then pushes on to the spindle, through a waterproof membrane and then allen key secures.

the shower head also has a nifty sealed 2 part cover. So I have a bit of play with distances.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

how will you rectify that dave? fit new ones alongside? or maybe plane them?

I've been able to plane a few so I could fit the shower wall panels as per my latest photo's :). On the other walls i've fitted new ones alongside. joys of an 1800's cottage im afraid! these things are sent to try us!

The wall you see that hasnt been done yet is going to prove ultra tricky as its the diagonal supports that throw me out.. plus SHE wants another niche there too! arrghhh.. niches!

M

Mike

yeah that looks like it will be fun for you dave :smilewinkgrin: what's the bundle of white cables for?

D

davemul

in wall heating!

Only joking, its telephone cable. Previous owners had the telephone cable coming on to the bedroom on the other side of that wall, then through the bathroom to the otherside where there is a study. Im re-routing up above. Another joyus task! :lol:

M

Mike

i thought you may be installing a phone in your wetroom. :lol: my accountant has one in her bathroom which i recently tiled:yikes:

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen