Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Anhydrite Screeds: Are You Confident When Tiling To Them? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

I am doing one as we speak. I am 100% confident on how to deal with them having done approx, 250 m2 now. Follow the correct procedures and you will be fine; remove laitence, then moisture test after this has been done, commission UFH, then moisture test again, use a suitable gypsum based adhesive to either stick tiles or any membranes and always tank any areas that are likely to get wet.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I am doing one as we speak. I am 100% confident on how to deal with them having done approx, 250 m2 now. Follow the correct procedures and you will be fine; remove laitence, then moisture test after this has been done, commission UFH, then moisture test again, use a suitable gypsum based adhesive to either stick tiles or any membranes and always tank any areas that are likely to get wet.

Are gypsum screeds/adhesive used in wet area bri?...

D

Dave H

Hi Dave, dont like tiling on them as allways an element of doubt, but have now laid in the region of 600m2 on to it, though
most has been hemihydrate screed (mayhew easyscreed), same beast/ different name! havent tried gypsum adhesives yet, but always use black pad on polisher to sand floor, hoover, check moisture content is at low enough reading and prime with Bal APD two coats, first diluted 1-1 neat 2nd coat, then lay ditra and tile. worked so far, but still worry about it!

D

DHTiling

I think we all have doubts now and again dave..

I like your method of using the black pads.. how long them they last mtrge wise.?

I

Ian

Are gypsum screeds/adhesive used in wet area bri?...

In the first house I did all the bathrooms were wet rooms and all of them had calcium floors, all waterproofed with dural ci++ and corners/joints taped, lapped 100mm up the walls as well.

D

DHTiling

In the first house I did all the bathrooms were wet rooms and all of them had calcium floors, all waterproofed with dural ci++ and corners/joints taped, lapped 100mm up the walls as well.

I have had a few wet floors now with Gyvlon and the latest was Gypsol .. as you , i fully waterproof them out to prevent any water getting to the screed.. these screeds are poured long before we get to know the use of the room ..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some stuff in here that mit be helpfull. havent got round to addin tile master to the list of suppliers yet

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave H

I think we all have doubts now and again dave..

I like your method of using the black pads.. how long them they last mtrge wise.?

Normally last for about 200m2 depends how much laitance on floor less on hemihydate screeds

S

Stef

Having a moisture test done this week on a Gyvlon screed.
They (builder) are a bit apprehensive about it but I've told them to follow correct procedure & it will be fine.
Still trying to talk them into getting an order from Lee @ tile town for tile master adhesive.

W

White Room

I have'nt had the privilege yet but mention to other trades and they have'nt a clue and never heard of it.... :confused_smile:

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
HOW is the moisture test done? Only ever done 1, was flat as a pancake. Did the latence removal and primed twice with "primer G' as i recall. Never had call backs from ir and that was around 8 yrs ago.

S

Stef

Question..
How do you know what the screed is?
Say the screed has been down a couple of years & no one knows who poured it, how do you test to find out if its concrete or a calcium screed?

I

Ian

Question..
How do you know what the screed is?
Say the screed has been down a couple of years & no one knows who poured it, how do you test to find out if its concrete or a calcium screed?

That is a good question Stef, I don't know if there is an official test that can be done but, they are a different colour to S&C, sort of a yellow colour. If the floor has been carpeted there's a fair chance the laitence will still be there as well, normally some around the edges where the sander couldn't reach, I had to do the edges on this one I'm doing, the sander the builder used left a 100mm band by the walls!!!

Reply to Anhydrite Screeds: Are You Confident When Tiling To Them? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks