Discuss What tile adhesive to go for? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rhodri

My Mrs old man is a plasterer by trade, nowadays more office based. He said if I get a bag of bonding he will bond it and can tile straight on to the bonding. I'm not so sure? Is that a good idea?

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
My Mrs old man is a plasterer by trade, nowadays more office based. He said if I get a bag of bonding he will bond it and can tile straight on to the bonding. I'm not so sure? Is that a good idea?

Not really. Better off dabbing on Plaster board and if its done right, you'll have lovely flat and plumb walls that will carry the weight of the tiles.

R

Rhodri

I thought as much. Rather be safe than sorry. It's only about 2 quid extra to get boards and dot and dab a 14m2 room than it is to bond it by my workings

R

Rhodri

Boarding done. Went okay I think. Two bits of worry to me are in the pictures. Anything I can do about them? One I've messed up the corner and it's folding away. The other the paper just seems to be coming away from board, don't know why?

20171215_161645.jpg 20171215_161653.jpg

Q

Qwerty

You have fitted the boards the wrong way around. The Ivory face should be visible. Some say it doesn't matter, but I've seen similar failures when this has been done in the past. Your boards look soaking wet too and at this time of the year it can take a while for it to all dry out depending how wet the drywall adhesive was and the humidity in the room.

Q

Qwerty

Plasterboard sheets dot & dabbed correctly. However on the second sheet you can see one small wet patch where the paper face just 'shed' off the board when wiped.

20170811_085836.jpg

R

Rhodri

I thought that, Mrs old man helped me and I said to him it says put other way round and he said one side for artex and other for plastering or some rubbish! Knew it should have gone on the other way round but how can I tell someone who should know that!!!

So the bubbles will go when adhesive dries?

Reply to What tile adhesive to go for? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks