Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

stevep1

the technical info on the palce web site, regarding their tilers' primer, claims that it's a S B R and suitable for priming gypsum plaster before tiling with a cement based adhesive. I have had a recent failure with this and have since read that maybe i should have used an A P D primer.Confused and fed up now. Been tiling many years. Feel like i know less now than when i started. WE used to PVA EVERYTHING AND JUST TILE. Any advice welcome.

D

DHTiling

SBR is Ok for priming and Only BAL make APD, so why would anyone recommend that to use with palace adhesives..?

What failure did you have..?

S

stevep1

all the tiles in a marble bathroom 600 x 400 tiles. and all the tiles in another bath room. 900 x 400. ceramic came off when de pegged. the walls were primed and single part flexy was used , as i have done thousands of times before. have since tested other adhesives and primers and even not priming and cant get a tile to stick. they come off clean not leaving a mark on the wall. have sanded walls back . tried everything. thing is a length of trim i put on with white star tub gear stuck like you know what. shame i cant use it on such large tiles.

T

Tecnik2000

And I thought it was a contest :mad2: Thanks for an answer Dan!! I've used many different adhesives..Each one on it's own volition, powder is great..But then? The correctly suitable solution often has a choice

D

DHTiling

all the tiles in a marble bathroom 600 x 400 tiles. and all the tiles in another bath room. 900 x 400. ceramic came off when de pegged. the walls were primed and single part flexy was used , as i have done thousands of times before. have since tested other adhesives and primers and even not priming and cant get a tile to stick. they come off clean not leaving a mark on the wall. have sanded walls back . tried everything. thing is a length of trim i put on with white star tub gear stuck like you know what. shame i cant use it on such large tiles.

This could be a number of things..

Either you are using insufficient primer or spreading to much addy and it skins off before you press tiles into situ or incorrect fixing method.

To have failures job on job then it must be fixer error.??

S

stevep1

dave you seem to have trouble in understanding what i'm saying. try reading it through a few times then answer. by the way the rep from palace seems to think ther could be a problem with the plaster.

S

stevep1

just to make it clear they are two bathrooms on the same job. we tried neat primer this morning and fitted a tile with rapid two part flexy. then fixed it correctly. it came off not leaving a mark on the wall. apparantly the walls were plastered in sub zero damp conditions. if i didnt know what i was doing i'm sure i would of had failures in the past 15 years.

D

DHTiling

I suggest you wind your attitude back a bit..:thumbsdown:..

Does it say on the bottle to apply primer neat..?.. not many i know say apply neat.

Tiling for 15 yrs.. maybe so but does that mean you have done it right for 15 yrs..

we are here to help and having a dig gets you no where...

How long have you left the primer to dry before tiling.. how old is the plaster.. at what temp are you tiling....like i said loads of reasons..

S

stevep1

its a new build the tech guy from palace suggested trying it neat as i said before we have tried everything else. if you type in palace tilers primer on google and read the instructions it says to apply neat over gypsum plaster when using cement based addy. the temp in the house now is ok.

D

DHTiling

Ok..

How long has it been skimmed.. if tiled too soon this could result in a failure.. was the primer acrylic or synthetic.?

S

stevep1

tried everything. been in every morning this week just to try some new primer or addy. started with benferfix then benferflex then palace spf. diluting primer,one coat ,two coats, none. spreading wall,spreading tile, spreading both,dobbing. think he might have to cement board over plaster. thing is 4 houses 5 bathrooms each. alot of work. would rather find something that sticks. never seen anything like it.

A

Aston

steve

are you applying the sbr neat or diluting it ??
it may need 2 coats. 1st one at a weaker ration to absorb in and seal
2nd one lower ratio / neat to bond ..

plaster is very absorbing especially after being left for a while, the suction seems the cause of the de-bonding imo...

D

DHTiling

Also... adhesive needs more than a few days to gain full tensile strength, so trying to remove a tile from freshly tiled walls will remove easy and also leave virtually no contact.

The failures you have had.. how long after tiling has this happened..?

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks