Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aston

thats why!!!!!

you should have left the 4 and 1 overnight, 24 hrs preferably THEN
do your 2nd coat of sbr the next day, then tile........viola :thumbsup:

1st coat seals and absorbs into the plaster, needs adequate time to set and take effect
next coat is the bonding coat, which then sits ontop of the sealing coat and adheres/fuses and stablizes..

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stevep1

if that's the answer my friend i most definately owe you one. i will be there in the morning applying my first coat of 1-4. to a fresh new wall. the same monday and a test tile tuesday :hurray:

A

Aston

just ensure you give the plaster a light sand over just to get you back to the begining/remove any thick undiluted sbr that hasnt adhered properly,,,,

anytime :thumbsup:

ps you dont owe me anything, the idea is to help. i can understand you were a bit frustrated earlier and were a tad short with dave but that guy is one of the most respected people in the tiling industry and he has nearly 30,000 posts to prove his commitment to helping people so just try to remember that out of respect :0) what he doesnt know, isnt worth knowing

all the best steve, lets know how it pans out ;0)
ed

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stevep1

thanks again. have you noticed you get these problems when you least expect them. this was one of the most straight forward jobs i've had in ages.

S

stevep1

yeah i answered without even thinking then noticed all the stuff next to his name. not bad for a first post eh? i will apologise again next time we speak.:oops:

D

DHTiling

yeah i answered without even thinking then noticed all the stuff next to his name. not bad for a first post eh? i will apologise again next time we speak.:oops:

NO apologies needed as long as the prob gets sorted..:thumbsup:..

You never know Steve.. we need guys like you to advise others..:welcome:

S

stevep1

well the test tiles i put up sunday were stuck solid this morning. couldn't dudge them. the walls were sanded first, then primed. 24 hours later another primer. 24 hours later a tile was stuck on. pulled half the wall off getting them off. strange how no other combination worked at all. not even slightly. thanks again. have to start getting to my jobs 3 days early.

A

Aston

well the test tiles i put up sunday were stuck solid this morning. couldn't dudge them. the walls were sanded first, then primed. 24 hours later another primer. 24 hours later a tile was stuck on. pulled half the wall off getting them off. strange how no other combination worked at all. not even slightly. thanks again. have to start getting to my jobs 3 days early.

understanding your substrates isnt too hard steve ...if the plaster/concrete etc etc is really dry, its just simply a case of balancing the suction...just get used to the difference of sealing and bonding.
higher water ratios to begin with,
adequate time to take effect & seal,
then reduce the ratios for bond

glad your sorted:thumbsup:

S

stevep1

yeah great call ed. how did you know that. i must have been lucky in the past. i have primed the day before but only on an existing job to save time in the morning. all new jobs i just prime first thing then go about getting set up and set out, then if it's dry, start. all the instructions say is brush it on and when dry or tacky, get on with it. or if 2 coats needed , let first dry. no mention of 24 hours. what do you do when working away. you're gonna lose a day. clever man :smilewinkgrin:

A

Aston

hi steve
you dont always have to leave it 24 hrs. early morning or the eveing before is normally adequate, its just in your case/scenario, we needed to make sure there were no more problems and 24 hrs gteed that:thumbsup: just always test the suction of your walls..you'll know the score now in the future, you wont get caught twice :thumbsup: if in doubt, leave the 1st coat over night ...

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Steve, I would just like to add, none of us ever stop learning. Dave, Ed, and all the other members, imo are top of the tree. You don't get better advice anywhere, I am still learning after 43yrs and will continue to learn, until they "lay the sod over me".

But I do agree, the different primers etc. can be confusing, ie: dilution 4-1, 6-1, 3-1:mad2: it is only since cement based adhesives came in (cement & plaster are worst enemies) we need to abrade new skim, and prime accordingly. I have said in the past we now have to be chemists as well as tilers. I always ring tech. dept. if I am in doubt.:thumbsup:

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks