Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 15

Mudster said:
Technically an SBR primer is for slurry priming concrete floors and sealing the edges and back of wood substrates before tiling.

For priming gypsum plaster walls or plasterboard you should be using an APD primer. (Read BAL's techinicaly literature for a chemical explanation on why this is).

Technically an sbr is a modified acrylic polymer dispersion bonding agent, the very same polymers used in apd. Sbr has several uses. as a bonding slurry as u mentioned and adding in to sand cement renders and screeds and when watered down it can be used as a primer.

M

Mudster

Actually SBR is water based not acrylic (the description you used - modified acrylic polymer dispersion agent is actually APD, hence the acronym). so it's fine as a render additive/primer but for Gyproc plaster APD is the way to go. Which was generally what I was getting at.

SBR is basically similar to PVA, it can be used as a brush on primer on sand/cement renders before they are plastered but not a primer on plaster itself it's just not designed for that.

You are correct that you need an acrylic polymer dispersion agent, but you've confused the two product and are mistakenly using SBR instead of APD.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mudster

On BAL WhiteStar, I only ever used this once and it failed completely. I had a call back on a job where the customer had decided to have a bath panel tiled replacing a plastic affair that came with the bath.

It was 15mm WBP, well made and fitted to a solid frame, so I decided I'd give the White star a try seeing as it made it clear it was for use in bathrooms and flexible enough to go on wood. Made sure the wood was clean and dust free and happily tiled.

Three months later all the tiles fell off, I had BAL technical down who took it all away and were unable to provide any satisfactory reason it should have failed, however refused any liability as if you read the product sheet that accompnies BAL white Star it's made clear that although you can tile on Wood and although you can use it in a bathroom, you can't use it on wood in a bathroom.

So I pointed out that the bathroom had yet to be used, (this was an extension in a large property that already had another 4 bathrooms). They stuck to their guns and refused any claim on the grounds that the sdhesive had been used in an unsuitable situation.

That's the one and only time I've used ready mix.

H

Harry the tiler

i try not to tile bath panel's, but if i have too ill use fast flex or similar..

H

henrik

any powder or cement based product can take any large (ceramic) format tile. if going to use a paste, you should use acryllic, as generaly have better grab/grip. if porcelain tile, must use powder.

P

Paul M

Can anyone help in directing me to where I can get some of the Dunlop adhesive to try. I am just outside Glasgow and havent seen any stockists of this adhesive, I have been using Mapei and i agree it is good gear but my supplier has stopped selling to outside tradesmen so for the last coupla weeks I have been using Nicobonds Ultragrip which is crap.

L

laurami tiling

granfix do a ready mixed ahd called multifix, self priming and slightly flexi, used it a few times and seems pretty good

tony

L

laurami tiling

elliot try topps tiles open a trade account to get discounts but cheap bal lol never seen it

tony

A

aspley

I was originally thinking for floor tiles actually but I suppose wall tiles come in to play too. White star would be excellent for walling providing the thickness of the bed isn't above it's maximum. Which I think isn't actually too thick at all.
Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!

D

doug boardley

Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!
you will definitely need an acrylic primer if p/boards are skimmed (gypsum and cementitious addy's should always be primed!) but a single part flexi adhesive will bring you right up to the bearable weight for a skimmed wall

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks