Currently reading:
Tiling Outside Steps

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

When tiling steps you sometimes use bullnose tiles that highlights the edge of the step, if you are not using these then maybe a brass trim to protect the edges. Dry cutting each step would make sense, use a flexible adhesive and grout that is suited for swimming pools, there are many to choose from.

Ps, I once watched a bloke tile a concrete staircase from the bottom up, what a numpty.

:lol:

P

Peter

Flexible frost proof adhesive and grout would be needed, and it's a good idea to back butter quarry tiles as they'll usually have ridges in the back.

Simplest way is usually to do the top riser first, then tread, and work your way down the step, fitting the risers first. Remember to use a straight edge/level to make sure your risers are in line otherwise it'll kick your tread tiling out. A tip is to cut your treads slightly smaller than you usually would, to give yourself a 4-5mm joint between the bullnose tread and the riser.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Here are some pictures of some steps i tiled last year the concrete was very badly poored so i had to tile them using a sand and cement bed on the treads ,I manufactured a stair string from a 90 x 45 cm tile to give it a classier finish if you look closely at the wall you can see where i set them out :thumbsup:

Nice job Gary, as you say concrete is rerely good enough. Uniformity of tread and riser is paramount, for HSE. I tend to render or, if tile is suitable, fix in sand and cement. I do the same method, Take a level line from the top tread. Plumb up from bottom riser, divide how many treads/ risers in stair. This determines the height of riser, and the length of tread. Hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

Does anybody know the tolerance allowed when it comes to stairs?

Over the years I’ve installed some thick timber floors (sometimes as much as 35mm) where the covering on the stairs has been different so by default the bottom or top step has been different from the rest. It's bothered me as I’m aware they all need to be the same but I’ve never looked into the tolerance levels, I’m assuming that it is much less than 35mm but I've always wondered if there is an allowance for the top and bottom and if so how much?. As there must be millions of houses that have different thickness coverings at the top and bottom of stairs

Reply to Tiling Outside Steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.