Search the forum,

Discuss Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's not been down very long Paul and aluminium is still visible in places, and everything we've read would suggest that it will continue to react until either the aluminium or cement has been removed.

This reaction is actually used in a controlled way in certain circumstances.
Heavy machinery supports for example, when the support legs are concreted in they use a grout made up of cement and aluminium powder.
When the elements react and the expansion takes place, it fills any voids remaining in the concrete.
Oh no,
We have to go back to school to learn chemistry,Mendeleev...

I

Italy

Is it similar to this ?

IMG_20170227_124227.jpg

O

Old Mod

Ok, so to the temp fix we came up with, I say temporary because we just don't know how much it will help. Maybe too little, too late.
After removing all the actual broken tiles, we cleaned the areas as best we could and replaced them using the specified adhesive, Kerrabond T and isolastic two part adhesive, which does not require priming.
We then cut control joints every 5 courses, full width of the room, and added a cold joint in a colour match silicone to lessen the impact of the joints visually.
In the areas where tiles were crunching underfoot but not broken, we opened up the joints in what we hoped was strategic points and flooded them with a very runny mix of Isolastic and Kerr bond T.
We had tried it the day before in the cloakroom and it appeared we had had some success with the idea.
How effective it will be long term is anybody's guess, but far short of a complete rip out we felt it was our best chance of giving the client some time to sort out what they want to do further down the line.
They're fully aware our efforts could be a waste of time, but it'll give them some breathing space.

It's also worth mentioning that the tiler said that expansion joints in this floor were not needed!
Another issue that we disagreed with.

IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0266.JPG

Finished floor.

IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0236.JPG

O

Old Mod

You can only do your best! !
We couldn't actually make changes John, as they're still assessing their position with the main contractor and so on.
We didn't change the integrity of the floor, such as it is, just replaced broken tiles.

T

Time's Ran Out

Understood!
Could be short term but what you did hopefully provided an answer to the way forward.

Reply to Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen