Discuss Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

So Gary and I have come down to Hastings to inspect a large Porcel-thin floor that is failing.
On seeing the floor for the first time it appears to be laid with care and the fitter, (builders son) appears to have done a half decent job.
But there are issues, a few have cracked and some tiles when walked on, crunch underfoot.
The main areas effected are the high traffic areas in the kitchen diner, so in through the main door from outside, the wc next to it and the main walkway from the kitchen area to the rest of the house. The dining area and utility remain mainly unaffected it seems.
So like all failing areas, investigative work has to be done, i.e. Tiles have to be lifted.
Problem number 1. Retro ufh is directly under the tile.
2. No antifracture or decoupler used.
3. Locating the pipe work.

The ufh system in question is Wundafloor, eps boards (polystyrene) covered with aluminium spreaders.

First thing to overcome was locating ufh pipes so we can safely cut away joints and remove tiles.
Solution, thermal imaging camera.

IMG_5417.JPG

Pipes located without too much problem.
Then we needed a way of cutting the joints open to free the tile from the rest of the field so that when we chop it out, it doesn't effect the tiles around it.
It seems we found a new use for the sigma Kerra Cut! :)

Securing the guide rail to the floor we used it as a fence to run a grinder, with a variable depth shroud on it to cut away the joints.
The blade was set for the exact thickness of the tile.

IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0171.JPG

What we found beneath was a floor with around 65-70% coverage at best, and poor troweling technique.

IMG_0133.JPG

But most disturbing of all was the adhesive had very little strength and was soft and easily scraped from the floor.
The tiles were stuck to it, no doubt about that, but there was just no strength in the adhesive at all, we could crush it between our fingers.
The floor has been down for 9 months, more than enough time to cure completely.
The recommended adhesive is Mapei Kerabond T & Mapei Isolastic stuck direct to the aluminium.
No priming required.
The adhesive used, Ultra S2 single part adhesive.
Priming was required if this adhesive was to be used, unfortunately, it wasn't.
So in normal circumstances you might think that you'd have a half decent chance of the the floor being ok even tho you didn't prime.
Thing is, when aluminium comes into contact with Portland cement, a chemical reaction takes place, this chemical reaction creates hydrogen gas!
What does this mean?
Well in the first instance the adhesive is filled with bubbles of Hydrogen gas, which in turn causes the adhesive to expand considerably causing tension in the floor. Secondary to that, it also causes the aluminium to corrode.
So what you are left with is a floor where the adhesive is literally on the edge of catastrophic failure.

IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0216.JPG

I have some better examples on site I'll post tomorrow.
But as you can see, it looks like overwatered adhesive, but in fact it's cavities caused by hydrogen gas. Causing the adhesive to be almost useless.
We scraped it away from the floor with a bolster by hand!
We are attempting to make repairs to the worse effected areas, but it's a 50/50 chance at best.

So remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
All of this could of been avoided if someone had called the relevant tech departments. And all for the sake of a few quid for primer!!

I'll go in to our remedy techniques tomorrow,
I'm too tired right now.

B

Blunt Tool

So aluminium plus Mapei BOOOM? Think mi6 will be looking into you now! :p Wonder if North Korea's Ping Pong knows about this for his scuds

B

Blunt Tool

That's an expensive lesson to learn tho! I wouldn't go near that sort of tiles unless I had been on a course and confident that I knew exactly what I was doing.

B

Bill

This has been my biggest argument with floor failures.... not enough research was done with the different type of adhesive and substrates/ tiles.....

Personally, I have never fixed on aluminum faced boards but I do always prime now, just in case.

One daft question..... why did you need a thermal camera if you were using a variable depth grinder set to the tile thickness, to cut the grout joints?

O

Old Mod

It's got nothing to do with the tiles tho Ian, that's the whole point of the thread.
It's fixer error, and the on going saga with retro fit ufh.
It's a difficult aspect of the trade to deal with correctly, and some fixers are just too gun ho!

O

Old Mod

One daft question..... why did you need a thermal camera if you were using a variable depth grinder set to the tile thickness, to cut the grout joints?

As it turned out some of the pipe work was actually touching the underside of the tiles, we just wanted to be 100% sure that when we cut through the joints we weren't risking cutting the pipe work.
We were there to repair not make it worse haha

B

Blunt Tool

I research if I'm unsure about sub floors that I have never came across. But would never take on a large porcel-thin job with no experience in it.

O

Old Mod

. I'd imagine the foil has been damaged with all this?

Yeah in places Lee, but nothing serious tbh, just where the chisel/bolster was forced beneath the tile.
I have videos of the adhesive removal that will probably suprise you, but they need to be uploaded first.
In the main, the adhesive came away in large pieces and could be easily snapped between thumb and forefinger, totally useless.

Reply to Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks