Search the forum,

Discuss Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

box is tiled and grouted corners are siliconed and it’s all ready to go i will fill it with water next saturday and the fun can begin

can we have a pole set up so people can say how long they think it will take starting at 30 minutes then within 24 hours then maybe two days then over a week
hi dean how big is the box L X D X H each litre of water weighs 1kg what size are the tiles used grout joints .what grout have you used .looking forward to your finding the best tilers will all ways question and look for there own answers .well done for showing others how to back up what they are told and say

S

Spare Tool

Omgood god the guys just tiled a card board box Ray...real tilers can tile a box but are intrigued by the results, get a grip mate this is just a grout and sealing experiment..

T

The D

Your
Tickles me these "experiments", I love 'em.[
hi dean how big is the box L X D X H each litre of water weighs 1kg what size are the tiles used grout joints .what grout have you used .looking forward to your finding the best tilers will all ways question and look for there own answers .well done for showing others how to back up what they are told and say
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be honest, I was expecting more grout. Just one grout line? Sure the water that will get through is going to dissipate and probably never even get chance to touch the cardboard?

I was hoping 6x6 or mosaics or something?

T

The D

the water will not have a chance to dissipate there is only one way for the water to go and that will be the path of least resistance the rest of the box is impervious.

W

WetSaw

What grout?
Absolutely no idea but I'd bet my left testicle that it was either some he ( my landlord) had laying around or the cheapest he could find.
I've made an album which also shows underneath but I'm too thick to be able to link to it..

Attachments

• 20150808_192438.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
A big vote of personal thanks from me to Dean for this thread.

I am a die hard tanker! But with a mere 8 years in the trade my thinking has been formed by an awful lot of "industry" instruction. I like to see conventional thinking challenged and real time testing is the best way of doing this.

Remember reading tests done by someone on here to challenge the convention of always using insulation board with underfloor heating. That was an excellent thread too - first time I could fully se the practice supporting the theory.

Dean is also right to keep this discussion in the Arms. I don't mind how the test pans out, I welcome seeing the evidence of how water "proof" grout really is. There are an awful lot of unwaterproof walls supporting tiles in showers, and repairing rotten walls in untanked showers has made me a lot of money in the last few years.

I think posts like this make it worth being a member of this Forum.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
the water will not have a chance to dissipate there is only one way for the water to go and that will be the path of least resistance the rest of the box is impervious.
Yeah I just can see how one grout line is going to allow enough water through to penetrate the cardboard.

It'll end up evaporating out before its managed to soak through the grout. And what does soak through the grout will disperse amongst the adhesive and not really effect the cardboard.

I've been diddled.

Do one with mosaics.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember reading tests done by someone on here to challenge the convention of always using insulation board with underfloor heating. That was an excellent thread too - first time I could fully se the practice supporting the theory.
Can you find me that thread by any chance? We have a new tests forum category I'd like to move it to.

Reply to Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen