Discuss Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Could do with one replicating an actual wet room shower. Albeit on a small scale. So mosaic floor with a more course floor grout. 20 or so joints. Then wall grout on the sides with mosaics.

It's what I was expecting to be fair. Thought you'd have done something akin to that from the off.

Fair play for doing it though pal. Most people wouldn't give such a toss.
hi dan to be fair have a good look round the fourm and you can do a count how many bath shower rooms are tiled with small tiles how many with 600x300 and bigger . in london i would say small tiles and mosaic
one in 200 shower rooms if that .and to balance this deans grout joint will be under far more presure with wieght of water constant .not like on off shower .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
hi dan to be fair have a good look round the fourm and you can do a count how many bath shower rooms are tiled with small tiles how many with 600x300 and bigger . in london i would say small tiles and mosaic
one in 200 shower rooms if that .and to balance this deans grout joint will be under far more presure with wieght of water constant .not like on off shower .
That's not how it works mate.

If we're being fair as you say, it could do with more grout surface area per square cm of tile. The pressure won't be much for that cubic meterage of water. It's not deap sea depths.

It's all traffic for me though matey let's make another few of these threads. :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's me out of the sweepstake then...damm it knew you should have used mosaics, will you be up all night watching for ingress then
I'm still in.

:)

If that's 450 x 900 x 450mm with a single 435mm x 3mm grout joint using fine wall grout. And the adhesive is 4 or 5mm thick. That cardboard is going to see more moisture out of the air surrounding it.

T

The D

Thanks buddy.

I've sticky'd that in the forum it's in. It'll have some use being open to the public then. That appears to be a thread that's aimed at helping the trade and not just a 'how big are me bal
30mins - 1hr busted no water yet
ok we have a winner 6.5 hours fully submerged with standard wall grout

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised it took that long.

Although showers aren't subject to constant submersion in water, it shows that grout/adhesive is not 'waterproof' as many customers believe it is.

The thing is, once the water has penetrated the grout it's into the substrate, and that starts to spell failure, hence why I tank all showers, even over the bath showers. I only take it up a metre above lip of bath and tank the shower wall and approx. 1m in length on long side of bath.

Interesting to see where the water has actually penetrated. You can see the small dots I suspect where the grout joint is but it concentrates more at one end. Was the box on a slightly uneven surface Deano?

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think nearly 7 hours is pretty impressive.
I'd be curious to see how long it would take if box was primed and a modified grout was used.
Got an op on Wednesday so not working for next 2 or 3 weeks, if Dean doesn't want to do anymore tests then I can.

O

Old Mod

[QUOTE="macten, post: 781811, member: 2899"
Got an op on Wednesday so not working for next 2 or 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that Nick!

T

The D

I think nearly 7 hours is pretty impressive.
I'd be curious to see how long it would take if box was primed and a modified grout was used.
Got an op on Wednesday so not working for next 2 or 3 weeks, if Dean doesn't want to do anymore tests then I can.
Go for it m8 it's all good

Last edited by a moderator:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers -
[QUOTE="macten, post: 781811, member: 2899"
Got an op on Wednesday so not working for next 2 or 3 weeks.

Good luck with that Nick![/QUOTE]

Cheers,
I take it from your profile pic that you skydive?
My op is from a skydiving injury 20 years ago.
Where do you jump? GoSkydive? I mainly jumped at Langar but stopped nearly 10 years ago.

Back on topic - Will definitely do another test in the coming weeks

Reply to Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks