Search the forum,

Discuss Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Back on topic

Absolutely @macten
There's a firm argument in its necessity in the floor of a wet area and 4" up the walls. But as to whether it's a must have all the way up to ceiling, with your 600x600 porcelain tiles. No
As someone says, there's key areas which are common to Water ingress.

Sometimes OTT belt and braces have a habit of becoming the norm!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been to a small hotel in zante, i was top floor , a mate directly underneath room, bathroms fully tiled with small bath , powerfull shower(it blew my chesthair off:) )
And drain in floor.
Built in 2004,24ish rooms, not a bit of silicone anywhere,all corners grouted, im presuming floors are tanked but not betting on it, walls either.
Not a leak in sight downstairs , if its tiled right ( i will argue till im blue in the face ;) ) it won't need tanking.
As for overlappng the tanking tape onto the bath, possibly tge daftest thing ive ever heard :)

Q

Qwerty

I'm looking forward to the results on this.
I've often considered contacting the officials in those countries where building standards stipulate waterproofing to get the reasons why they insist tanking is present. All of those authorities can't be wrong can they??

T

The D

ok i am thinking silicon the corners and have one 3mm joint on the base of the box so that when the water comes gushing through the grout i will spot it easily

i am not trying to make an argument against the use of tanking in wet areas more just trying to put across how a tanking system should perform and what we should be telling our customers about the way grout performs.

W

WetSaw

I'll take some pictures of the "luxury" shower in the house we rent. I'm damn sure there's no tanking and I have access under the block and beam floor, tiled directly on the blocks, and it's bone dry

Reply to Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen