Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaic fitting advice - "dogtooth" confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dean jones

Hi everyone,
New to this forum, but having only read threads as a non member (very useful advice and tips, so many thanks!) thought I'd join up and try to get some advice on fitting my mosaic borders.
I've fitted large tiles leaving gaps for a mosaic.
So, 5mm adhesive + 10mm main tile = 15mm gap to wall. My mosaic is 8mm glass/stone so 7mm short of the wall. I wanted to use the dogtooth method. Make a wooden jig 9mm deep, fill the gap with adhesive and scrape flat. Keraflex adhesive , not rapidset but a stiffer mix setting and leaving it wet. Then push the mosaic so only 2mm pushes back on wet adhesive and hopefully pat it level with the tiles. Will it work?

I've seen tillers on this forum leaving the screed to set and then troweling more adhesive over it and then fixing. Being an amateur, I would rather do it in one go to make it easier, and I've never used rapid cement. Should I leave the adhesive flat as I am only pushing 2mm, so hopefully it wont go through the gaps. Do I need to comb some grooves into it? Would it be better to leave the wet adhesive for 10 minutes so it's drier, or leave it wait and fix the mosaic straight onto wet? Please advise
(sorry for long winded thread and taking up your time!)

T

Time's Ran Out

Although you may prefer to do it in one go if you are filling the gap with 9mm deep adhesive you may find it slumps if too wet and if you make it dry/ thick the mosaic may not stick!
Fill it with rapid set to within 2mm of the mosaic thickness then when set just top up 2/3mm fresh adhesive and fix mosaic flush with other tiles.

W

WetSaw

You use the dog tooth method to bring the substrate to the correct depth. Then, once that layer has dried, comb a layer of adhesive and fit the mosaic. Trying to fit mosaic to a deep bed of adhesive will probably end badly. Tiles won't adhere properly to adhesive that has started curing.

D

dean jones

That was where my confusion was - I've read both methods on these boards and wondered if I could do it one go. I do have a dip on one wall where I had to pack a few tiles out with the same adhesive before letting it dry overnight. Next day I then tiled over with the same keraflex. Was worried about using rapid set as never used it before and sometimes I'm a bit slow and cautious (tiling can be a bit daunting for an IT desk-jobber come DIYer)

I may try the one go method on a short strip and see how it goes and if it doesn't work, then use the "proper" method. Tell me Andy, do you just push it level straight after applying, or do you do you wait a bit and then mosaic? How about the surface of the adhesive? is it ok to leave it flat, as I don't have a trowel that can get into the thin stripe. Should I score a few lines with some plywood with grooves in?

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
There is always tile backer boards if you are worried about using a rapid set or doing it all in one go with the dog tooth method. They come in all varying thicknesses. Cut with a stanley knife. You could use these and work at your own pace, set it to the depth you require and have a nice flat surface to fit your mosaics.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The adhesive will be OK flat.
I normally spread about a meter then stick the mosaic in....just make sure you give it a good pat with a grout float.

Reply to Mosaic fitting advice - "dogtooth" confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen