Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaic fitting advice - "dogtooth" confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dean jones

I do appreciate all the input from everyone - pros and partimers alike, and am very grateful for any advice I can get. Unfortunately, my skill levels for tiling are no where near as high as software engineering, so I often choose a method I'd be capable of, rather than the correct, tried and tested professional one. I've taken both suggestions on board and will most likely attempt both at the weekend. The "good pat in" and the bringing it just short of level and then 3mm trowel for larger sections. Better do that tonight, so it will be well dried in time for the weekend.

Localtiler - I did consider beva mesh, but I was wary about how it would work out. Doesn't it reduce the actual bonding area at the back of the mosaic, as the mesh will be another barrier between mosaic and adhesive. I figured it would be better to have 100% contact with the back of the mosaic, rather than 70 odd with mesh. Mesh would be more useful to me to fill in all the gaps left from getting the brickbond pattern to come in line - all those cuts and getting them in line!!!
I also need to consider the daunting challenge of grouting it all afterwards - all those grout lines - I predict nighmares!!

D

dean jones

I thought you just peel off the mesh cover paper and stick the mosaic to it. Then spread adhesive over the wall as in normal tiling and push the dry mosaic mesh onto it. Do you spread the adhesive over the mesh with mosaic on it and then push it onto a wall with no adhesive on it?
Also, any useful tips on grouting? as there are a lot more lines and smaller, more closely packed then a field tile. The pushing grout in using a float should be straightforward, but I imagine the wiping with sponge is a bid fiddly and needs good technique and experience. I'll be using BAL micoflex (wiping after 15min according to packet) as I have done previously, but only on normal tiles not mosaics (first time.)

D

dean jones

Most instructions and videos just apply the mesh straight onto adhesive wall, not to mesh and wall. So your method is:
Self adhesive mesh onto back of mosaic.
Tile adhesive onto back of the mesh/mosaic (let it dry or fix whilst still wet?)
Adhesive on wall and then fix mesh/mosaic

I suppose the tricky bit is getting depth correct as now you have wall adhesive and adhesive with mesh and mosaic together.

Grouting - I do have glass amongst my mosaic, so I shall leave it on longer before wiping. Normally micromax is 15min, so will leave it for 20min.

Reply to Mosaic fitting advice - "dogtooth" confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen