Discuss How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Olz

re: Tile Advice - All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

Something like this mate usually works for me.

crackedtiledrillpic.jpg

Although the purpose of the holes are just to help break the tile so you can use more or less holes, or hole(s) in different places depending on the size of the tile and the place and severity of the crack etc.

Some people are happy not to drill holes at all, they just cover the tile with a cloth and break it with a hammer. I find using 4 holes works best for me in most situations.

Be carefull with holes and wall tiles though, dont need to be flooding the bathroom, just replacing the tile :lol:

M

Mad Hatter

Top stuff Oli, I'll copy that and get it printed off.

Cheers

D

dgilesy

What a cracking post. Very well layed out and informative.

O

Olz

Glad you found it helpfull :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

Nice little post.

!

F

faithhealer

Just found this cracking post Oli, never knew what a tipped trowel was! off to cut and paste now, cheers

S

Steveo205

Fantastic info list. Many thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

I have to admit - I was using about 2 or 3 trowels for everything.

So, a thin solid bed trowel for wet walls, and a notched trowel for dry walls.

Up until now I've been struggling to get 100% contact with a notched trowel. Several bathrooms and no tiles off yet :grin:

D

doug boardley

just found this thread Oli, cracking post,
cheers Doug:thumbsup:

A

AllurePTS

Good post mate ....can I add a few questions :lol:

1) I read a post on here ....some kind member had done a calc chart for grout and adhesive e.g 4mm space witha 10mm tile = x kg grout per sq mtr ....8mm notch trowel = x kg adhesive per sqr mtr etc .....can't find that post now but would be good to add here ....anybody point me in the right direction ?

2) Why do some tile cutters accommodate a number of different diameter scoring wheels ???

3) I've read bits here an there about tile classifications and the symbols on the boxes, however ...I still come accross things I don't recognise ....anyone know of a comprehensive list anywhere ???

Hope some of the guys can answer these.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack ....I posted here, as I thought the answers might be useful for other newbies too :grin:

G

Gazebo

Many thanks Oli, going to print laminate and sleep with it under my pillow, maybe that way i will learn it quicker..
Thank You.
Gary:thumbsup:

A

Avilamarble

:mad2:eek:h yea . let the horse bite his own tale , and let him eat it like a pile of grass jejeej :ninja:...

225driver

nice post Oli very usefull Thnaks :thumbsup:

The calc chart i got one from webber you need to find out who manages your area and contact them and they may e-mail you a copy they also do a very good tileing guide full of loads of usefull titbits

If not pm me with your email adress and i will try and forward you a copy of mine its done in excell so you will need to have that on your pc ( calc chart that is )

S

STINGRAY30

thanks. new tiler here.

saving all your tips mate.

big thanks

Reply to How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks