Discuss How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Olz

re: Tile Advice - All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

Replacing a Damaged / Broken Tile

Obviously there are a few ways to go about this, this is how I go about it.

For safety wear goggles and gloves.

Start off by scraping the grout from the sides of the tile in question, use a grout rake, or a fein or similar, the drill 4 holes in the tile, in a square formation.

Use a hammer to crack the tile, gently, no need to go mad with the hammer, remember your replacing a damaged tile not trying to make the good tiles match the damaged one.

Hopefully you will now have 4 pieces, assuming the tile had not lifted already, chisel out the pieces, start in the middle working outwards minimising the risk of damage to surrounding tiles.

Once youve got the bits out, get rid of the adhesive that was behind the tile, being carefull not to take chunks out of the substrate.

Depending on the size of the tile, you may not be able to get the trowel in to apply fresh adhesive to the wall, if this is the case, back butter the new tile, replace, allow to set and regrout.

Oli

P

pjtiler

whens the paperback coming out:hurray:

O

Olz

One day i'll stick the 'bible' on ebay, i should just about cover the £3 i paid for the note pad, I'll have to get past 5 pages of usefull info in it mind. :lol::lol:

G

grumpygrouter

First time I have seen this thread Oli, well done mate.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score

good man oli !! :hurray: :thumbsup:

O

Olz

Thanks Fella's, I'm sure this is all bread and butter stuff for most of you, but as i've experienced (and still very much am) it's a huge learning curve and hopefully this will be helpfull for someone.

F

Falcone

Great post Oli cheers mate.

still very much learning, lots of good advice here. thanks again :thumbsup:

O

Olz

A quick one before I go to bed,

Silicone Tip

Apply your bead of silicone, having cut the nozzle at 45 degrees, when you've put the bead on, spray it with a weak washing up liquid and water mix, spray your silicone smoothing tool or finger with the washing up liquid and water mix and smooth the silicone bead using one smooth motion, leave the washing up liquid and water mix to dry away.

The washing up liquid and water mix should only me made weak, and will stop the silicone sticking to your smoothing tool and finger making it easy to smooth over without it going all over the place. :thumbsup:

S

Spirit

You can also smooth silicone with a Fugi, which requires no liquid or lubricant, therefore any silicone scraped off can be reused elsewhere.

O

Olz

Firefox wont find the plugin needed to view the link mate, what's a Fugi?

Nice siggy by the way mate, made me chuckle. :lol:

Edit: Found it on google mate, similar to the Karl Dahm shaping tool

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spirit

Another LINKEY for those without Windows Media Player. :thumbsup:

F

Falcone

i have one of those kits. they're really good. give a really nice finish. highly recommended.:thumbsup:

D

Derry

great info oli, thanks for sharing and appreciated by many :thumbsup:

S

shane176

thanks for the info,
printed it off just in-case

beanz

TF
Reaction score

drill 4 holes in the tile, in a square formation.

Can you elaborate on this please Oli? I'm probably just dense, but i'm not 100% sure what you mean!?! Are these holes at the mid points, corners, edges, or doesn't it matter too much?

Great thread BTW, learning loads arlready! :thumbsup:

Reply to How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks