Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
So, I joined the forum a while back when I decided to embark on a tile career, When I first joined I was aprehensive to ask questions, probably mainly because I thought they'd sound stupid, I took the gamble and asked away regardless, boy am I glad I did.

I thought i'd take bite the bullet again and try and give something back to the forum so i'm going to add the stuff I asked to this post, I wrote the stuff down in what I refer to as by 'Bible' and I keep it handy so I can keep refering back to it.

I hope that this is helpfull to those who want to know but are a bit shy to ask.

andyq

TF
Reaction score
re: Tile Advice - All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

fantastic post Oli lots of important information that you just don't get anywhere. Just go's to show that the tillersforum is THE place to go for anything and everything to do with tile. Thanks again

OP
C

cass

Good post , will jot that down for future ref, very handy.

Reaction score
Re: Tile Advice - All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

This post has been very helpful to me. As above I'll be writing this down tonight. Thanks

OP
M

Mr Tiler

2kg of grout per m2..... Is that real? In what size joints? Seems unreal to me.

OP
C

ceramicknight

great post this oli,brilliant advice for the rookies like myself wanted to ask a lot of questions since joining but didnt want to come across as an idiot, a lot of it has been covered in this thread, just one thing if i am tile a shower are you saying i use a thin bed with a gauging trowel and not a notched trowel? loving this forum so so helpful:hurray:

OP
H

Hgdavec

Very useful post. Can see why it's recommended. Thanks

OP
J

jaydebruyne

What an great post! Many thanks for this Oli ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dan69

Great post Oli this forum is great for someone willing and wanting to learn.

OP
D

David Rowell

Could i ask what a flat bed trowel is please?

OP
O

Old Mod

Great thread @Olii! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
One or two things could probably be updated now since this was posted, and maybe even get a few of the unanswered questions answered.
If anyone would like to add anything that would be good to!
Then we can collate the information and produce an article from it, then the newbies will have something to refer to at their fingertips!

OP
O

Olz

I had loads of messages stacking up in my pm inbox on the old style forums when I couldn't get on as much. Anyone should feel free to update this as they see fit and jump in to answer questions.

I think I got more likes on this thread than all ,y other posts over the years put together lol.

OP
B

bcd-87

One day i'll stick the 'bible' on ebay, i should just about cover the £3 i paid for the note pad, I'll have to get past 5 pages of usefull info in it mind. :lol::lol:

hi oli

god bless

Reaction score

Replacing a Damaged / Broken Tile

Obviously there are a few ways to go about this, this is how I go about it.

For safety wear goggles and gloves.

Start off by scraping the grout from the sides of the tile in question, use a grout rake, or a fein or similar, the drill 4 holes in the tile, in a square formation.

Use a hammer to crack the tile, gently, no need to go mad with the hammer, remember your replacing a damaged tile not trying to make the good tiles match the damaged one.

Hopefully you will now have 4 pieces, assuming the tile had not lifted already, chisel out the pieces, start in the middle working outwards minimising the risk of damage to surrounding tiles.

Once youve got the bits out, get rid of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ that was behind the tile, being carefull not to take chunks out of the substrate.

Depending on the size of the tile, you may not be able to get the trowel in to apply fresh https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to the wall, if this is the case, back butter the new tile, replace, allow to set and regrout.

Oli

Sorry oli. Your post is great. This is the only thing I disagree with. Replacing tiles I dig all 4 corners out( grout lines, top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right)with a flat head screw driver. Then middle of each joint with flat head. Then batter with a hammer (concrete floor) if gyprock (for example) I make my snips the hammer and lightly batter. Generally speaking at least one point of the tile will give way and I work from there.

Reply to How To Tile, Advice & All the questions I asked when i joined in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock