Discuss Patio porcelain tiles lifted within a month: Adhesive advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a patio laid back in Feb/March time by the building firm doing our extension, onto a new concrete base around the new extension. The porcelain tiles were 20mm thick and 600x900 so quite large. Ditra mat was supposedly laid in one area as the builders had got the concrete level wrong (dont even ask) to get the tiles up to the right level. My partner has contacts within the tiling industry so they were able to advise and supply tiles etc for us. In hindsight I wish we had used our contacts to do the work but thought it would be better to keep all in one company so there wasn't a 'its not our fault it's theirs' situation if there was a problem. I regret this choice now.
Anyway, NicoBond S2 Rapidset Adhesive suitable for exterior use was used. We had to order extra as they ran out. Within a month the tiles were loose and lifting - I could lift one out with no effort. The builder has come back to redo these - the tiles have lifted easily and there is absolutely no adhesive still attached to 99% of the tiles ( and I see no evidence of ditra mat). They are adamant its because the wrong adhesive was used (a rapid set in stead of slow set) , water got in and all the tiles lifted.
My main questions are
1) If rapid set is not suitable for exterior tiles why is it listed as suitable or it is just a personal preference?
2) Is there anything we need to make sure is done differently this time round as the builders have said they will redo it once as its our fault for providing the wrong adhesive and then thats it.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
The setting speed shouldn't make any difference, sounds like the tiles were dusty/greasy and weren't back buttered.
If there is no adhesive on the tiles, the addy didn't bond to them at all.
Human error to blame here!

Reaction score
The setting speed shouldn't make any difference, sounds like the tiles were dusty/greasy and weren't back buttered.
If there is no adhesive on the tiles, the addy didn't bond to them at all.
Human error to blame here!
Thank you - I was suspicious of this! The new tilers have done what loots like a great job so hopefully this will stick,

Reply to Patio porcelain tiles lifted within a month: Adhesive advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks