Search the forum,

Discuss How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

nick giles

it wouldnt have failed with an overboarding regardless of the nature of the overboarding. the one and only mistake was no overboarding

A

AndY mac

Backer board very reasonable compared to a fail. In the olden days I'd had a few fails on ply either de laminating or just throwing a tile for no reason live surface. No fails on any of the dead surfaces.

S

Stef

try not to tile to ply but definitely don't tile to 6mm ply.
Ply is not the same as we got years ago, it's cheap crap now & has been for a while.
Overboard with thermal or Hardie or use a decoupler.

N

nick giles

Backer board very reasonable compared to a fail. In the olden days I'd had a few fails on ply either de laminating or just throwing a tile for no reason live surface. No fails on any of the dead surfaces.
my only fail with ply was an 18mm bath panel which i forgot to prime... banana within 2 days. but there is my proof that 'live' material works.... ply works.... a bath panel if primed on both sides and then tiled can last for years and years standing vertical with little support....
as I am experiencing when the keraquick sticks to the plasticiser primer..... its a total swine to break the bond.

L

LM

im being double macced
Not at all mate, just trying to steer you in the right direction, you've asked for ideas and in doing so we're simply pointing out that quite probably the fundamental failure here is the ply.
Plywoods a today have all sorts of problems one of the main ones being that a lot of cheap stuff comes in from Asia and is coated in releasing agents to prevent the sheets melting together in the heat of transport and tile adhesive dosent go very well with releasing agents, that's only one issue with it. Plywood and underfloor heating is a hell of a gamble in itself due to the contraction and expansion with temperature fluctuation. At the end of the day you'll do your own thing, we're only trying to point out why we as professionals don't like ply as a substrate and also the problems that you might face :)

N

nick giles

my only fail with ply was an 18mm bath panel which i forgot to prime... banana within 2 days. but there is my proof that 'live' material works.... ply works.... a bath panel if primed on both sides and then tiled can last for years and years standing vertical with little support....
as I am experiencing when the keraquick sticks to the plasticiser primer..... its a total swine to break the bond.
marine ply is more expensive but good.... i take all your points on board (ply board ?) thanks guys.. i now work for a firm so if i can find an excuse to try out backer boards, i will... cheers.

Reply to How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen