Discuss How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

nick giles

6mm ply?!

picard_facepalm.jpg
dude, it would then be 6mm ply screwed at 100mm squared intervals on to 25mm ply... thats more than good enough. 9mm would raise the floor too much as there is already a bad step in to the room. if i cant get a perfect lift on the old floor and it is uneven, then i will have to consider lifting the 25mm ply as well and replacing with 18mm caber flooring glued and screwed with 9mm screwed on top of that.

N

nick giles

6mm ply?!

picard_facepalm.jpg
6mm on a perfectly flat solid newly constructed floor is fine.. agreed not good enough for anything else.... christ almighty.... clint eastwood once said.... opinions are like assholes.... everybody has one.

W

WetSaw

There are far better products these days than ply. Why not use a proper tile backer board?

N

nick giles

View attachment 83159 Just my opinion I always avoid tiling on ply at any chance ( live surface ) backer board or membrane all the time.
i have only ever used plywood and never had any issues at all... easy to cut.. bastard to screw down, has to be primed, but does the job. I always thought backer was too expensive.

N

nick giles

would a bal membrane glued over the whole floor stop the sideways movement, because that is the main issue, but ply would also help with any vertical movement.

N

nick giles

it wouldnt have failed with an overboarding regardless of the nature of the overboarding. the one and only mistake was no overboarding

A

AndY mac

Backer board very reasonable compared to a fail. In the olden days I'd had a few fails on ply either de laminating or just throwing a tile for no reason live surface. No fails on any of the dead surfaces.

S

Stef

try not to tile to ply but definitely don't tile to 6mm ply.
Ply is not the same as we got years ago, it's cheap crap now & has been for a while.
Overboard with thermal or Hardie or use a decoupler.

Reply to How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks