Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

nick giles

yeah, fraid so.... its a busted flush
So the floor is 25mm ply on top of joists then heat mat & slc?
No other overboarding?
Sounds like it won't just be the 19.
aye, its not a mistake i would normally have made, but i took on the whole house renovation with labourers and a crap joiner.... so i got distracted... i have prob lost 10k already on the job, so another 5k hurts like f. cest la vie.... now working for a company to pay debts... on the plus side my boss bought me a sigma - what a beautiful tile cutter... makes porcelain seem like ceramic. ps how often do you boys change the wheels on a decent cutter... would you change it after one big porcelain job ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They don't need changing anywhere near that often. Just don't press on too hard on any tile type and it should last months.

S

Stef

My everyday Sigma 3b3m has the original wheel in it, 5 years roughly I reckon.
Still cuts like the day I got it, give it a quick spray with wd40 silicone spray & it glides.

N

nick giles

My everyday Sigma 3b3m has the original wheel in it, 5 years roughly I reckon.
Still cuts like the day I got it, give it a quick spray with wd40 silicone spray & it glides.
my first porcelain job with it.... cut fine for around 20m2 then started to chip the glaze ... although the labourer was using it,,, so could he have been applying too much pressure and blunted the wheel?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it. You don't need to score heavy. Sometimes you can't even see the score mark but it's there.

N

nick giles

Sounds like it. You don't need to score heavy. Sometimes you can't even see the score mark but it's there.
this was porcelanico from crocatile in glasgow.... they kindly told the client it was ceramic.... (insurance job only priced for ceramic ) more fun and games... two tilers had walked off the job already till muggins here got called in... i said i could do it, but buy me a sigma :)

S

Stef

my first porcelain job with it.... cut fine for around 20m2 then started to chip the glaze ... although the labourer was using it,,, so could he have been applying too much pressure and blunted the wheel?
You ain't going to blunt a Sigma wheel after 20m2.
They last years.

O

One Day

My main cutter hasn't had a new wheel yet. 7 years old now. used most days. Keep 2 spare wheels in my glove box but i don't think I'll need them for a while...

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hey Nick thats not a nice situation to be in, lm not rubbing it in but you have to be there to make sure everything is bang on no excuses. I have a solution for you. We are pricing up a job at the moment and the tiles have been down twelve months over piped UFH some are loose and all round they feel hollow so our assumption is they have been blobbed. There is no option of taking them up, so we are going to drill small holes in grout joints and inject it with resin then go over tiles with a seamless floor called micro cement, the customer wanted that originally but builder didnt have a clue. This job is from porcelanosa and they have just brought there own product out. I hope that helps :)

N

nick giles

You ain't going to blunt a Sigma wheel after 20m2.
They last years.
could
Hey Nick thats not a nice situation to be in, lm not rubbing it in but you have to be there to make sure everything is bang on no excuses. I have a solution for you. We are pricing up a job at the moment and the tiles have been down twelve months over piped UFH some are loose and all round they feel hollow so our assumption is they have been blobbed. There is no option of taking them up, so we are going to drill small holes in grout joints and inject it with resin then go over tiles with a seamless floor called micro cement, the customer wanted that originally but builder didnt have a clue. This job is from porcelanosa and they have just brought there own product out. I hope that helps :)
hi aussie, thanks for the suggestion but its the sub floor that is the issue, trust me there was no blobbing, having lifted the tiles i can see that the glue coverage underneath is excellent, very few weak spots in the adhesion coverage. only solution is to take up the tiles and the glue and the self levelling and the heat mat. hopefully the heat mat will make it easier to lift the self levelling so a sds breaker on an angle should lift it all. over lay with 6mm ply or a bal membrane, start again.

O

One Day

could

hi aussie, thanks for the suggestion but its the sub floor that is the issue, trust me there was no blobbing, having lifted the tiles i can see that the glue coverage underneath is excellent, very few weak spots in the adhesion coverage. only solution is to take up the tiles and the glue and the self levelling and the heat mat. hopefully the heat mat will make it easier to lift the self levelling so a sds breaker on an angle should lift it all. over lay with 6mm ply or a bal membrane, start again.

6mm ply?!

picard_facepalm.jpg

Reply to How Do I Break Down Keraquick in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks