Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
if you have any tile/offcut left ,see if it marks with a high heel shoe ,if so take the tile & shoe to b&q, stand in line at the returns desk & show them ,LOUDLY asking to see the manager ,you never know good luck m8

J

j8yba

Can i also stress as well, that the tiler pointed out that 75% YES 75% of the tiles were bent, ie not straight which means that most of the corners of each tile laid are not level!!! he showed me this by placing a spirit level across a couple of them and there was a good 3 - 4 mm difference either side.

Also I was in there today and as the sun shon across the tile, the scratches were visable.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

j8yba

38132d1327951198-heavily-scratched-just-laid-porcelain-floor-img_2177.jpg

Think Dave is on the money here check out the three finger marks at the bottom

Only just realised what you meant there, thats actually the reflection of my hand taking photo!!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i can only give advice from what i see and think but in regards to these tiles from b and q i think they are very inconsistent in quality

J

j8yba

Did your tiler inform you about the bow before fixing

Only halfway through jay, but as my speciality isn't tiles, I didn't really understand what he meant, i thought it was normal for some to be bowed and thought it'd be ok when they've grouted. Think he even mentioned they'd be ok once grouted.

J

jay

Think it would of been better if he had told you about the quality first might of saved some heartache ,if you place two tiles face to face then look at the edges that will tell you the amount of bow as for the scratches im surprised the tiler didn't notice them

good luck

O

ozboz

As a tiler. if there are any faults with the tile, he/they should have picked up on it and nformed you, especially if there is a significant amount of distortion within the tile body, as said before, Ive never had this with B&Q stuff,infact ive always found them quite good, Kilty has said there s a lot of inconsistancy with these tiles, but I can assure you I had similar distortion problems with Porcelanosa stuff, supposed to be high end, arrogant rep turned up giving out, he went away with a bomb up his ........., the tiles were duly accepted by the client, but ONLY because of deadlines, given more time they would have made them change them, some 2000 mtrs. It has been said, you need to o to the store and take it up with them, managers at these stores can act on their own discretion, if no joy,the main offices for B&Q are in Southamton, they distortion problem I would envisage would be put down to your fixer, the poor quality, ie scratching, you may get some joy, but untill you take it up with them..................... best of luck mate

J

j8yba

Thanks, well the B&Q duty manager is back in today, so im going down there to see what she's done since i spoke to her on Tuesday. I think ill take a tile down there with me and try the heels method.

Relatively speaking, this whole floor so far has cost me nearly £3000.

S

steeeevo

I bet you are WORD REMOVED at the moment then, im laying this romsay 500 x 500 tile in the next month, i will defo do the face to face check and see if there bowed. it does seem down to luck if you get a good tile or a bad tile from b&q after all the reading i have done about this tile

just think it would have cost you £10,000 if you bought a better quality tile, then you would have had no problems though

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

Just a hint to tilers.When mixing large or small polished porc try to stack them shinny side to shinney and back to back when stacking them (like they do in some of the boxes) there is less chance of damaging the surface this way

just a thought

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

easyest way to remove wax off these tiles that i have found is to throw a hand full of grout powder on to the floor rub with a dry cloth the dry powder sticks to the wax the cloth takes the powder off leaving a clean tile whith no need for exspensive time comsuming removers job done:drool5:

D

Discount Tile Supplies

You get what you pay for guys. B&Q want porcelain tiles for ceramic money. Good polished porcelain tiles will not scratch like that before or after fixing.

Reply to Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks