Search the forum,

Discuss Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes they're B&Q 500x500, Romsey tiles in a black pack of 4. They're still selling them today.

@Dave, no I found a company local. I'm not going to slag them off as hopefully this can be worked out.

aye,the ones i used last year were 600x600 but the same make,they seem to buy large batches every now and again. they do have dull ones and shinier ones,like has been said,loads of wax on these,needs a bit of work to take off

G

Gazzer

This actually highlights the problem as to why you cant just give a m2 rate for every tile being the same. Now you see why certain tiles are more labour intensive.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Also wipe on grimex with one cloth.............and use a different cloth to polish off after leaving to do its job. Change cloths after a couple of wipes as well.

Otherwise all your doing is softening the transit wax, and smearing it about, not cleaning it off.

J

j8yba

thanks guys, ive just been out and brought two of the tiles back home to test your theories. Ill be honest though, these scratches look like theyre there to stay.

J

j8yba

one other thing, on a 55 sqM floor, how much LTP sealer should we have gone through? We bought a 5L tin.

O

ozboz

Hiya, I have fixed loads of these things, transit wax I found to come off using white spirit and a Bosch buffer, before I grouted. As for the scratching, as we know they shouldnt, but, to my knowledgr thes things are made in China, so maybe there is some fault in the tile body. But if I was the tiler, I take a few off cuts of spares and using different metel instruments see if i can pysically mark the surface, if yes then its a manufacturing issue, if not then the transit wax removal looks like the main contender for the problem. But just because they are cheap from B&Q doesnt always mean they are not very good. I have fixed them for friends and family alike and had no problems, in fact they have been quite good, any way I hope you can sort it out mate , good luck !

J

j8yba

Hi again, well last night i tried my best to remove the transit wax, but i really dont think theres any on there. on the back of the box, the description says these tiles are pre-sealed? but we sealed them anyway.

You can physically scratch/mark the the tile just by dragging a screwdriver over the tile with minimal pressure.

The tilers have been back today and are flumoxed, they've never seen this before and have stressed that it isnt something they have done to the tiles out of the ordinary.

The tilers brought an electrical hand-polisher/buffer with them and some other compounds, which only seemed to leave a dull blemish on the tiles and didnt remove much of the scratch.

Ive been back to B&Q and spoke to the deputy manager who tells me they havent had any of these tiles back, and theyve sold thousands of them, shes going to contact the QC department at Head Office to see what they say.

Im really at a loss with this now, the job has cost me the best part of £2500 and I have a 60sq M floor which was supposed to be a focal point in the shop which now makes my stomach turn everytime i think about it.

Reply to Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen