Discuss Grouting advice for artificial joints. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Drifterjoe

I guys laying the tiles below this week. Is there a technique to grouting the artificial joints?

They aren't very deep so do I need to let the grout set a bit longer than normal before washing down?
20170316_164117.jpg
20170316_164127.jpg

B

Blunt Tool

Yes you are right, flush up joints with grout and leave to set longer than normal. Wash off excess grout with sponge but wring out well as don't want too much water. Some of the guys on here use damp micro cloths instead of sponges so you could try that aswell

F

Flintstone

Some of these tiles have glazed joints in which case it's virtually impossible to get grout to stay in, run the grinder blade down them slightly if that helps

D

Dougs Third Go

as above with both suggestions. I've run the bridge saw over the joints in the past just to get a half decent depth and/or remove any pooled glaze.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
These tiles are stupid idea, why they don't make them 200x200 is beyond me, the pre scored joint is too small anyway (less then 2mm so you can't make the normal joints the same size on floors) It is almost impossible to grout them up without it pulling out so you just have to be patient and keep going over the bits they do. Tip: I am installing similar to this in my bathroom but have pre cut them all on the score line using the Sigma so that I can create even joints at the right size and get the grout in the joint. They cut really easy, no scoring required.

D

Drifterjoe

Seems like they could be a pain in the ***. Laying them tomorrow. I'm not keen on the idea of running the grinder over them as I'm in a bit of a rush to get it done.

What about if I try and convince them to go for terracotta grout?? If the colour is a close match.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like they could be a pain in the ***. Laying them tomorrow. I'm not keen on the idea of running the grinder over them as I'm in a bit of a rush to get it done.

What about if I try and convince them to go for terracotta grout?? If the colour is a close match.
How did it go? What did you go for?

D

Drifterjoe

They were quite tricky in the end. Basically the grout lines are too thin for even my thinnest grinder blade so would just have chipped the glaze.

I layed them as they were and had to use 1mm spacers adjusting by eye as the joints are too wide with a 2mm spacer.

The grout went on ok but did wipe out in a couple of places. Going back today to silocone the shower so will have a go at touching up the areas that are showing through.

I explained the situation to the customer and they were fine with it.

Reply to Grouting advice for artificial joints. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks