Discuss Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yea thts what I meant haven't actually crumched the numbers but I think in terms of cost to customer, there would really be no massive price difference either way, but I think vairo would work a bit cheaper, if you include labour and materials over all

A

Alzak

Can someone explain me purpose of this "uncoupling membrane" ?

My understanding was that on concrete you stick insulation boards with flexible adhesive and then heating mat covered with white flexible adhesive which you stick marble tiles on ?

Is this not correct process for tiling and underfloor heating ?

electric-underfloor-heating-tiles-buildup-thermonet_1.jpg

F

Flintstone

That is correct for porcelain tiles. With natural stone they are soft and aren't structurally stable as porcelain, as you will find out when a few probably fall in two!
The uncoupling is basically a layer which separates the tiles from the substrate, it alows some expansion and contraction in the floor without it transferring to the tile. There often made up of about 3 layers so can move independently

A

Alzak

Ah I see now I knew that stone tiles are not as hard as ceramic and that was the reason for using flexible tile adhesive so any movement in substrate would not transfer to tiles.

With this uncoupling membrane can you just lay this over heating mat or you need something between heating mat and membrane ? would membrane take the heat from heating mat without any issues ?

F

Flintstone

Your best to use self levelling compound over the wires then lay the uncoupling once that's set. Heat is fine

A

Alzak

No I would not be doing this myself but I want to make sure this is done right and I would be buying all bits required apart from adhesive.

Any recommendations for this uncoupling mat ?

F

Flintstone

My advice would be have a talk with the tiler before buying anything and see what he says /recommends

A

Alzak

That would be a problem as installation would be done by my Dad who would be flying in here from continental Europe for 2 weeks, saying this we have different approach to underfloor heating as is mainly (99%) water based systems so that’s why I need help on products from you guys.

He fitted tiles on 100s of floors with underfloor heating but not on wires… and his knowledge on local products is limited as well.

Reaction score
Yea thts what I meant haven't actually crumched the numbers but I think in terms of cost to customer, there would really be no massive price difference either way, but I think vairo would work a bit cheaper, if you include labour and materials over all

i agree, variopro would be more expensive, but when you weigh up the down time ect (your time) price doesnt work out that much more.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score

Reply to Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks