Discuss Advice for mat and marble tiles :) in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have underfloor heating (wet system) with the calcium screed on top. Its about 65 mm thick the screed is. I was advised by the company that installed the screed to sand the top to get the film off, I have done so and was surprised at how much dusty stuff came off.

There are a couple of hairline cracks in the screed and I have been told about the decoupling mats.

An issue I am facing in making a decision on the brand/thickness/price of the mat is the front door situation. The door has only 20mm clearance from the screed. The marble tile is 13 mm.

Do I need to prime the floor before laying adhesive on? Ardex p 51 primer suitable?

Next thing is sealing the marble tiles. Do I need to seal the top and underside of the tile to stop staining from adhesive bleeding/coming through?

Which adhesive is best for this material? Ardex 7001 white?

Do I need to prime the underside of tiles? They have a material stuck on them. It looks like plasterers scrim tape which I think is to give a better bond.

I would be grateful if a tiler could advise me on this and tell me the best materials to use. I could just go and buy standard stuff and get straight at it, but I'm aware that the choice of material could have a negative impact so I want to do it right first time.

The tiles are from Doga stone BELGRAVIA MARBLE (BRUSHED) the area is 80m2. It will cover the hallway, kitchen, utilty, lounge and downstairs toilet.

Thanks in advance! James

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What kind of screed is that? Send us some pictures

Uncoupling membrane is 3mm thick. Install the uncoupling membrane. Install the marble, very next day apply sealer prior to grouting. Reapply second coat sealer following the manufacturer's instructions. Ardex is a good brand name

Last edited:

Reply to Advice for mat and marble tiles :) in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks