Search the forum,

Discuss Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
:fearscream:Some porca will not cut with just one score , some porca will not cut with any amount of scores, its not you or the machine its the tile
To be fair, in the past I've come against some infuriating tiles that wont dry cut, and even when hand grindered have still broken when cut anywhere near the centre of the tile.
Some tiles cut easily other just f***ing dont.
But understanding why and how to identify the problem would be a god send.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

To be fair, in the past I've come against some infuriating tiles that wont dry cut, and even when hand grindered have still broken when cut anywhere near the centre of the tile.
Some tiles cut easily other just f***ing dont.
But understanding why and how to identify the problem would be a god send.
there are a lot of tiles today were the pure porcelain has been replaced by clinker to bring the price down
but has added to the tilers work load they call these eco friendly made with waste martial so they make bad tiles
then have them crushed and added to new tiles that you cant cut so there waste they use again
waste is at least 15% higher on these tiles as you cant cut them plus the energy to make them twice you
could not make this up eco bull .i will let you work out witch country is doing this big. should not take any of you long

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
there are a lot of tiles today were the pure porcelain has been replaced by clinker to bring the price down
but has added to the tilers work load they call these eco friendly made with waste martial so they make bad tiles
then have them crushed and added to new tiles that you cant cut so there waste they use again
waste is at least 15% higher on these tiles as you cant cut them plus the energy to make them twice you
could not make this up eco bull .i will let you work out witch country is doing this big. should not take any of you long
So are you saying that some tiles just wont cut well?
Am I looking for an equation that doesn't apply to all tiles?
I was taught by two third generation tilers nearly 25 years ago, when porc first became common they used to say that the new porc tiles should be referred to as porc gres, and shouldnt be confused with real porc.
Personally I have never fixed real porc.

L

LM

I have to say Ray you have explained this type of direction by manufacturers on a few ocassions and it makes perfect sense. Without this sort of insight how would your typical 5"8 know what the hell the manufacturers are at? It's helpful knowing this side of the manufacturing process when trying to convince clients as to which tile to select over others.

R

this is a hard as there are so many at this at the moment and its growing not all telling the truth
best bet for you is to insist that before you price a job they must have a sample on site that you can test cut
all sizes 600x600 and above look for the double loading first .its 20 -80 at the moment but will grow
as more architects are looking for how much of a tile has been recycled they are looking for 10%
and above look out for these do not price a job untill you had tried to cut one

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
this is a hard as there are so many at this at the moment and its growing not all telling the truth
best bet for you is to insist that before you price a job they must have a sample on site that you can test cut
all sizes 600x600 and above look for the double loading first .its 20 -80 at the moment but will grow
as more architects are looking for how much of a tile has been recycled they are looking for 10%
and above look out for these do not price a job untill you had tried to cut one
Most of my customers are small builders, usually have to stick to a price before the tiles are chosen, and they want the tiles laid the day after the delivery!
If I said the price could change if the tiles were tricky to cut, I'd be laughed off site.
Builders understand very large tiles can be an issue to lay, and if customers are considering them then tilers need to be told, but getting samples for cutting tests would be difficult.
In an ideal world that would be great, but highly unlikely on most jobs.

R

dont believe for one second what your small builders tell you they have more extras in there price than you can shake a stick at .just they keep them for them selfs .so whats the answer 15% more if they dont cut well and you have to use a wet saw .most builders price for 300x300 or 600x300 any think else is an extra.so whats the answer take them back to the tile shop and ask them to cut one with the builder present.its the only

O

One Day

Great advice Ray.
I have a disclaimer in my quotes (which are signed or emailed back as acceptance of contract).

In a nutshell it goes something like this:
"A note on the quality of tiles: Occasionally we are faced with tiles and stone of such a poor quality that additional charges for time must be made. Naturally, we will endeavor to assess the quality of your tiles or stone BEFORE quoting or estimating for fixing. If the quotation or estimate is based on having NOT seen the tiles or stone then we reserve the right to charge for additional time as may be required."

This has allowed me to charge enough extra to cover my faffing around quite a few times now.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have never given a written quote with my own terms and conditions in all my years of tiling.
The thought of being able to demand quality of substrates, tile quality, charging for return visits due to tile shortages, last minute delays in starting jobs or any other extras you can think of would be a joy.
But doubt whether many customers or builders would sign it.
Doubt most issues would stand up in court either.

H

hmtiling

Great advice Ray.
I have a disclaimer in my quotes (which are signed or emailed back as acceptance of contract).

In a nutshell it goes something like this:
"A note on the quality of tiles: Occasionally we are faced with tiles and stone of such a poor quality that additional charges for time must be made. Naturally, we will endeavor to assess the quality of your tiles or stone BEFORE quoting or estimating for fixing. If the quotation or estimate is based on having NOT seen the tiles or stone then we reserve the right to charge for additional time as may be required."

This has allowed me to charge enough extra to cover my faffing around quite a few times now.
That's a great t&c impish. Gonna have to tack that on to my quotes. I imagine we've all had a few tiles that have added hours of work to the job.

O

One Day

I have never given a written quote with my own terms and conditions in all my years of tiling.
The thought of being able to demand quality of substrates, tile quality, charging for return visits due to tile shortages, last minute delays in starting jobs or any other extras you can think of would be a joy.
But doubt whether many customers or builders would sign it.
Doubt most issues would stand up in court either.
I've only ever in 9 years using them, had one refuse to accept them. She then went on to commit insurance fraud and rip off the tiler who took the work.
I also doubt it would hold up legally but it's a strong reminder for them and when you increase the final bill slightly (never taking the mick) it helps ease the pain.

I

Italy

as I understand it.
given that Florim Group, (rex, Floorgres, casabella), is one of the best brands in Italy (and beyond), the tile is pure porcelain. (Just turn the tile to understand).
in my life it has happened 2 times, failing to make cuts, and each time, the brand of tiles, has paid compensation to a tiler, for the time lost. (Wrong cooking or other problems).
I also say the brand , ceramiche ragno

Reply to Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen