Search the forum,

Discuss Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

Thats a 6, 8 and now 10mm wheel thats been suggested!
Just spent 50 notes on two 22mm bearing wheels, looking forward to using them one day....
I am left, 10 mm. much years ago, it was the max
the past several years, from last rubi purchased
;)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

if its double loading ie small layer of porcelain on top with 7 to 8mm bottom layer try scribing the top first then turn it over and scribe the bottom break from the bottom try this on a few of your off cuts see if that does the trick .some times you just have to work out what works .when you cut these are there little black spots in the bottom layer when you break the tile .when you set a bench up for cutting dont do it to high you should still have a little clearance between were your legs meet you need down ward force and be able to move with balance and
speed .to high you wont get the right pressure down with movement .it takes a little playing with but you will
know when you get it right it will just flow

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
if its double loading ie small layer of porcelain on top with 7 to 8mm bottom layer try scribing the top first then turn it over and scribe the bottom break from the bottom try this on a few of your off cuts see if that does the trick .some times you just have to work out what works .when you cut these are there little black spots in the bottom layer when you break the tile .when you set a bench up for cutting dont do it to high you should still have a little clearance between were your legs meet you need down ward force and be able to move with balance and
speed .to high you wont get the right pressure down with movement .it takes a little playing with but you will
know when you get it right it will just flow
Thanks for the tips Ray, unsure of what the double loading bit means, and will look for black bits tomorrow.
To be fair the platform is a little high, set on two Stanley fold up workhorses, plus 50mm timbers and then 18mm ply.
Have a busy day tomorrow after being informed today that the kitchen is being delivered on thursday and need to complete 20 metres of a Himalayian floor before it gets here.
Will take a few pics tomorrow of cuts to see if you can identify the problem.
Was thinking perhaps the depth of the shaft on the scoring wheel may have something to do with it.
Seems there are so many variables, for now multiple scores work, so will continue doing that.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
:fearscream:Some porca will not cut with just one score , some porca will not cut with any amount of scores, its not you or the machine its the tile
To be fair, in the past I've come against some infuriating tiles that wont dry cut, and even when hand grindered have still broken when cut anywhere near the centre of the tile.
Some tiles cut easily other just f***ing dont.
But understanding why and how to identify the problem would be a god send.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

To be fair, in the past I've come against some infuriating tiles that wont dry cut, and even when hand grindered have still broken when cut anywhere near the centre of the tile.
Some tiles cut easily other just f***ing dont.
But understanding why and how to identify the problem would be a god send.
there are a lot of tiles today were the pure porcelain has been replaced by clinker to bring the price down
but has added to the tilers work load they call these eco friendly made with waste martial so they make bad tiles
then have them crushed and added to new tiles that you cant cut so there waste they use again
waste is at least 15% higher on these tiles as you cant cut them plus the energy to make them twice you
could not make this up eco bull .i will let you work out witch country is doing this big. should not take any of you long

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
there are a lot of tiles today were the pure porcelain has been replaced by clinker to bring the price down
but has added to the tilers work load they call these eco friendly made with waste martial so they make bad tiles
then have them crushed and added to new tiles that you cant cut so there waste they use again
waste is at least 15% higher on these tiles as you cant cut them plus the energy to make them twice you
could not make this up eco bull .i will let you work out witch country is doing this big. should not take any of you long
So are you saying that some tiles just wont cut well?
Am I looking for an equation that doesn't apply to all tiles?
I was taught by two third generation tilers nearly 25 years ago, when porc first became common they used to say that the new porc tiles should be referred to as porc gres, and shouldnt be confused with real porc.
Personally I have never fixed real porc.

Reply to Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen