Search the forum,

Discuss Book Match Porcelain Veins in the Printed Sheets in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

No nap time..?
When Andy, Christmas? Haha always!
And anyhow, stop trying to make this another thread that's all about you! Hehe ;)
It's all about ME I tell u!
.....oh and @GaryTheTiler ! Hehe
.....oh yeah and I spose @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin will feature somewhere or other, oh and a mention in dispatches goes to Brian, a guy that's worked with both Gary and Ray for many years and doesn't do Forums.
So he won't read this anyway! Haha (he's moved on now, at least for the time being)
Oh ok so it's not JUST about me! :rolleyes:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And anyhow, stop trying to make this another thread that's all about you! Hehe ;)
.....oh yeah and I spose @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin will feature somewhere or other, oh and a mention in dispatches goes to Brian, a guy that's worked with both Gary and Ray for many years and doesn't do Forums.
So he won't read this anyway! Haha (he's moved on now, at least for the time being)
Sounds like your Oscar speech.!!...anyone you want to mention..lol

I

Italy

......so a few weeks before Christmas @GaryTheTiler invited me to embark on a little project with him.
All I really new initially was that it was a job in Hampstead North London, Gary met me at the tube station and drove the rest of the way.
Wasn't far actually, about 500m haha but it is up a very steep hill, so I didn't feel like a fraud. :rolleyes:
Sorry I digress! Hahahaha :D

So the job, approx 220m of Bookmatch Porcel-Thin over two corridors part of a stair well and around a lift shaft.
Not forgetting 7 flights of stairs and 13 landings and half landings, stringers, skirtings and a 3m high bulkhead! Simples! :)
After a couple more site visits we were starting to get a feel for what was to become a pretty technical project, but one which would be pretty dammed impressive if we pulled it off.
Incidently, there's also another 3 lift surrounds plus a couple of walls in another 1200x600 regular 12mm porc to add to the above list.
The project was projected to start mid to late Feb, in actual fact it started mid March.

So as to get a feel for the job and what it might entail, between Christmas and New year I constructed a small 1/10th scale model of the ground floor stairwell and a couple of flights of stairs.
Anal? Perhaps!:rolleyes:
But it instantly highlighted problems we would face.
View attachment 80937 View attachment 80938 View attachment 80939 View attachment 80940 View attachment 80941 View attachment 80942

It's late more tomorrow! ............
It looks familiar

I

Italy

I nothing?.
I had to put up with for months.
ungrateful.:oops::oops::oops:

O

Old Mod

Yep it may seem excessive to some,
but have u even given the complexity of the job any thought at all, probably not.
Why should you, you're not doing it!
Take the staircase for example, now we need to be able to make a transition between the flights on every one of the 13 landings and half landings so that we take a full piece full width of the tread and riser, because if u were to let it run naturally upward, you would end up with joints up the middle of a the staircase. So somehow the run of tiles have to be turned perpendicular to it self on every half landing.
One other small consideration, it has to be bookmatched!
This was the first thing that was clearly visible with the model.
image.jpeg

So on the first two landings, not only did we need to devise a transition from staircase to staircase, we also have to try Bookmatch it with the walls too!

image.jpeg

Also consider that this is a 14m2 set, there's no spares, u can't phone Ray and say "ooow can I have a B6 please cos I just naused it up!"
And at over a couple grand a set, mistakes can be expensive!
I'm not saying u can't jiggle the tiles and find an alternative, but u must remain aware that the pattern has to change now.
So....a lot of prep work?
No more than spending the day latexing I'd say, and besides it only took an afternoon to do.
It gave me a lot more confidence on how to approach the work, and that's what I set out to do.

D

dave l and l

thats the kind of thing that would give me sleepless nights. hopefully you are getting well paid for it

Reply to Book Match Porcelain Veins in the Printed Sheets in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen