Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Book Match Porcelain Veins in the Printed Sheets in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Yep it may seem excessive to some,
but have u even given the complexity of the job any thought at all, probably not.
Why should you, you're not doing it!
Take the staircase for example, now we need to be able to make a transition between the flights on every one of the 13 landings and half landings so that we take a full piece full width of the tread and riser, because if u were to let it run naturally upward, you would end up with joints up the middle of a the staircase. So somehow the run of tiles have to be turned perpendicular to it self on every half landing.
One other small consideration, it has to be bookmatched!
This was the first thing that was clearly visible with the model.
image.jpeg

So on the first two landings, not only did we need to devise a transition from staircase to staircase, we also have to try Bookmatch it with the walls too!

image.jpeg

Also consider that this is a 14m2 set, there's no spares, u can't phone Ray and say "ooow can I have a B6 please cos I just naused it up!"
And at over a couple grand a set, mistakes can be expensive!
I'm not saying u can't jiggle the tiles and find an alternative, but u must remain aware that the pattern has to change now.
So....a lot of prep work?
No more than spending the day latexing I'd say, and besides it only took an afternoon to do.
It gave me a lot more confidence on how to approach the work, and that's what I set out to do.

D

dave l and l

thats the kind of thing that would give me sleepless nights. hopefully you are getting well paid for it

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Great idea to do that Marc

That day setting out the scale model will save you days on site, easier to be able to cut a little bit of paper incorrectly than a large tile.

O

Old Mod

Ok so back to our little job :) cos u haven't even seen any progress yet! :rolleyes:
There was the usual slow start, finding somewhere to store gear and the 2 tonne of adhesives and levellers and so on, and hopefully not too far from where we were working.
Then there was the tile delivery, if I'm not mistaken (Ray can put me straight if I'm wrong) a 150kg approx per box of extremely fragile tiles.
Whilst we did have some help, well we all know how site labourers can be with 'fragile' goods.
And there was about 5-6 sets from memory, oh 2 boxes per set.
So heavy work.
And fortunately no ones gonna try put a box under their arm and walk out with it! Hahaha
It took a few days to settle in and get up and running, but we got there.
So we're a couple of weeks in and things have been less than smooth haha
But that's work for you.
Not from our point of view, we've been pressing on where we can, we just haven't always been able to. But we've all been there.
So I spose I'd better put a pic or two up then! Haha
So this is the result from the model, well partly.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's excellent Marc, like the saying goes, anyone can tile it's easy.....not!!!!

They must be paying a hefty fee in labour costs cos that is real skill to tie all that together

O

Old Mod

That's excellent Marc, like the saying goes, anyone can tile it's easy.....not!!!!

They must be paying a hefty fee in labour costs cos that is real skill to tie all that together
I think it's rare u ever get what it's really worth John, when working for builders at least.
But we muddle thro and hope we get it right.
And thank you, we're doing our best, and u haven't even seen Gary's staircase yet! :rolleyes:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think it's rare u ever get what it's really worth John, when working for builders at least.
But we muddle thro and hope we get it right.
And thank you, we're doing our best, and u haven't even seen Gary's staircase yet! :rolleyes:

Your not telling me it's £30 a metre for work like that

Reply to Book Match Porcelain Veins in the Printed Sheets in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks