Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

In that situation, I'd lose the expansion gap, and just tile close to the end panel. Obviously, I can't see your layout though, so there might be exceptions. ;)

yeah sounds the best option.

in this case i can just come up to the end panel - is it usual to butt right up to the end panel with the tile or maintain the grout gap and grout accordingly?

sorry for the novice questions, i really do appreciate your help.

Dan

D

dantheram

It's usual to go under the end panel (you'd normally fit it after tiling), but in this situation, I'd get it close maybe 1mm, grout, then a very thin bead of clear silicone to hide where the grout will inevitably crack.

this is exactly how the tiling was done before - the grout line was around 1/2mm and had cracked at the end panel join.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
this is exactly how the tiling was done before - the grout line was around 1/2mm and had cracked at the end panel join.

It will always crack, no matter how wide the grout gap is. It's a different material, so expansion will occur at different rates.. The thin bead of clear silicone will be enough to hide the crack. ;)

D

dantheram

It will always crack, no matter how wide the grout gap is. It's a different material, so expansion will occur at different rates.. The thin bead of clear silicone will be enough to hide the crack. ;)

wont it just look like a clear line over a crack though :) - i'm going to do it as it makes sense but just wondered what the end product will look like.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Does your floor have any under tile warming?
I wouldn't cut the tile slow close. Leave about 4/5mm and silicone fill. Not grout. What colour grout are yet going for? Pick a matching silicone or one that coordinates with the finish of your kitchen units

Thats a good point about the underfloor heating/warmup mats. Although technically correct, I wouldn't bother if there's no heat involved, as I don't think it's as nice a finish. Personal preference I guess.

Reply to Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement