Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

It will always crack, no matter how wide the grout gap is. It's a different material, so expansion will occur at different rates.. The thin bead of clear silicone will be enough to hide the crack. ;)

wont it just look like a clear line over a crack though :) - i'm going to do it as it makes sense but just wondered what the end product will look like.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
It's enough to take your eye off it. The silicone, sort of, reflects the colour of the grout. Or I suppose "refracts" would be more accurate.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Does your floor have any under tile warming?
I wouldn't cut the tile slow close. Leave about 4/5mm and silicone fill. Not grout. What colour grout are yet going for? Pick a matching silicone or one that coordinates with the finish of your kitchen units

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Does your floor have any under tile warming?
I wouldn't cut the tile slow close. Leave about 4/5mm and silicone fill. Not grout. What colour grout are yet going for? Pick a matching silicone or one that coordinates with the finish of your kitchen units

Thats a good point about the underfloor heating/warmup mats. Although technically correct, I wouldn't bother if there's no heat involved, as I don't think it's as nice a finish. Personal preference I guess.

D

dantheram

I have heating mats down so will have to use the 4mm gap and silicone fill.

Grout is gunmetal, units are beech colour.

Reply to Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen