Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

Evening all,

i have my floor ready to tile and have an expansion gap all round the perimeter. So, when I come to the gaps do I fill them with silicone and close the gap up with the tile on top?

At the minute I have 5mm all round the edge of my insulation and SLC.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

beanz

TF
Reaction score
In that situation, I'd lose the expansion gap, and just tile close to the end panel. Obviously, I can't see your layout though, so there might be exceptions. ;)

D

dantheram

In that situation, I'd lose the expansion gap, and just tile close to the end panel. Obviously, I can't see your layout though, so there might be exceptions. ;)

yeah sounds the best option.

in this case i can just come up to the end panel - is it usual to butt right up to the end panel with the tile or maintain the grout gap and grout accordingly?

sorry for the novice questions, i really do appreciate your help.

Dan

beanz

TF
Reaction score
It's usual to go under the end panel (you'd normally fit it after tiling), but in this situation, I'd get it close maybe 1mm, grout, then a very thin bead of clear silicone to hide where the grout will inevitably crack.

D

dantheram

It's usual to go under the end panel (you'd normally fit it after tiling), but in this situation, I'd get it close maybe 1mm, grout, then a very thin bead of clear silicone to hide where the grout will inevitably crack.

this is exactly how the tiling was done before - the grout line was around 1/2mm and had cracked at the end panel join.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
this is exactly how the tiling was done before - the grout line was around 1/2mm and had cracked at the end panel join.

It will always crack, no matter how wide the grout gap is. It's a different material, so expansion will occur at different rates.. The thin bead of clear silicone will be enough to hide the crack. ;)

D

dantheram

It will always crack, no matter how wide the grout gap is. It's a different material, so expansion will occur at different rates.. The thin bead of clear silicone will be enough to hide the crack. ;)

wont it just look like a clear line over a crack though :) - i'm going to do it as it makes sense but just wondered what the end product will look like.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
It's enough to take your eye off it. The silicone, sort of, reflects the colour of the grout. Or I suppose "refracts" would be more accurate.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Does your floor have any under tile warming?
I wouldn't cut the tile slow close. Leave about 4/5mm and silicone fill. Not grout. What colour grout are yet going for? Pick a matching silicone or one that coordinates with the finish of your kitchen units

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Does your floor have any under tile warming?
I wouldn't cut the tile slow close. Leave about 4/5mm and silicone fill. Not grout. What colour grout are yet going for? Pick a matching silicone or one that coordinates with the finish of your kitchen units

Thats a good point about the underfloor heating/warmup mats. Although technically correct, I wouldn't bother if there's no heat involved, as I don't think it's as nice a finish. Personal preference I guess.

D

dantheram

I have heating mats down so will have to use the 4mm gap and silicone fill.

Grout is gunmetal, units are beech colour.

Reply to Advice on expansion gaps in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I’ve tiled my bathroom floor on top of hardie cement board. I have left expansion gaps all...
Replies
Views
I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen