Discuss Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

if the tiles were brought in from the cold, that could affect the bond too.
Bad batch of adhesive - not enough polymer to bond to the porcelain?

S

Spud

Was the floor checked with a hygrometer before the adhesive was laid , and do you have evidence of the results ? I normally take photos

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think your screed was cured, but not dry. Was it moisture tested before tiling?
If there is any residual moisture left in the screed, this will be forced upwards and once it hits the porcelain tile it can't get out and can de bond the tile.

O

One Day

Was the floor checked with a hygrometer before the adhesive was laid , and do you have evidence of the results ? I normally take photos
20160414_164045.jpg

O

One Day

I think your screed was cured, but not dry. Was it moisture tested before tiling?
If there is any residual moisture left in the screed, this will be forced upwards and once it hits the porcelain tile it can't get out and can de bond the tile.

And potentially soften a gypsum-based adhesive too!

T

Toni

I didn't test it myself and don't know if the tiler did.

But it was left well over a month longer than it needed to be before the we tiled the first time (and it was force dried with ufh and dehumidifyers) and the second time we laid the tiles was a year later. I think the screed was dry but I can't be 100% until I speak to the tiler.

I'm wondering, any damp not getting through the porcelain - would it not also trap the damp of the adhesive too - so we'd always have a damp issue?

I've lifted 3 tiles. One is dry and two are a touch damp so it's not an issue with all of them. And when we had this issue last time and had to get the tiles up the adhesive was Rock hard and dry as a bone. So it seems odd that it is damp this time still.

Also the adhesive was one that allowed a bit more moisture in the screed to begin with I think. We checked that and it was more tollerant than the others.

T

Toni

Can I just say thanks again. All of this is very very useful in ruling stuff out and finding a problem. I really appreciate it.

O

One Day

@Ajax123 - Alan Jackson might have some valuable insights into just how long these screeds can actually take to dry.
I must admit - even years later I'm still wary of them giving false readings which is why I always use Ditra as another line of defence, allowing that last bit of moisture and vapour to escape....

O

One Day

Threads like this really drive it home how much responsibility and pressure is on our shoulders
So you share it out - a bit to schluter, a bit to tilemaster, a bit to bal... Get everything recorded, keep emails, photos etc.
Follow the rules and prove that you did.

T

Toni

I'd recommend any new tilers read this thread for sure as it just shows how much can go wrong.

I'm amazed its gone wrong a second time - to have a bad tiling job was bad enough but to have them lifting now is just unbelievable.

Drying tims for screed we were told 2mm a day for x depth and 1mm for anything deeper. But we were well within those times for the depth we had especially as we forced dried it and used dehumidifiers.

Its also funny that last time the tiles stuck like glue in the only room without UFH - so I think its more likely down to the adhesive not getting on with the heat than the screed being damp.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
@Ajax123 - Alan Jackson might have some valuable insights into just how long these screeds can actually take to dry.
I must admit - even years later I'm still wary of them giving false readings which is why I always use Ditra as another line of defence, allowing that last bit of moisture and vapour to escape....
Good shout, the man's an encyclopaedia of all things screed related.

W

White Room

I'd recommend any new tilers read this thread for sure as it just shows how much can go wrong.

I'm amazed its gone wrong a second time - to have a bad tiling job was bad enough but to have them lifting now is just unbelievable.

Drying tims for screed we were told 2mm a day for x depth and 1mm for anything deeper. But we were well within those times for the depth we had especially as we forced dried it and used dehumidifiers.

Its also funny that last time the tiles stuck like glue in the only room without UFH - so I think its more likely down to the adhesive not getting on with the heat than the screed being damp.

That would be 1mm a day and over 40mm 2mm a day but that would be a sand/cement screed.

Reply to Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks