Discuss Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Toni

IMG_6079.JPG
Hi everyone,

Thank you ever so much for the replys.

I now have a new issue. The tiles have started to sound a bit hollow and after our last issue I know that's bad. That started to happen last time and it just got worse and worse and is part of the reason we re-did the tiles before.

When we were getting the tiles up last time the tiler said he couldn't believe they came up clean. Virtually no adhesive stuck to the tiles at all which he said was very unusual.

This time he squeezed the tiles down a load to make sure the adhesive would stick to them.

I've just taken one up and again to see what's going on this time and there is no adhesive on the tile. It's stuck to the floor like glue but the tiles come up virtually bare.

Does the way the adhesive has been done look correct based on this pic? It is over ufh if that matters. And I followed the instructions on restarting the ufh to the letter of the manufacturers guidelines. Left it off for about 28 days and then turned it up very slowly day by day to get it up to temp.

I think the way the tiler has stuck them down is probably is ok and the adhesives starting to fail for a second time but I wanted to ask for your opinion if you can help?

This is an unbelievable predicament to be in.

Thank you all so much

T

Terry the tiler

The only things I could think would cause this would be the adhesive being down too long and skinning up before the tile was laid or that there was slot of dust on the back of the tile which has made it not adhere.
Very strange?!?
The actual bed isn't perfect but I would say ita adequate and isn't the problem
IMHO.

T

Toni

Thanks Terry, I'd say no to both of those - he was working fresh with the adhesive so there is no way it would skin up and the tiles arent dusty at all really - I just checked an unopened pack and they are fine.

Thanks Antoino - is that absolutely vital? I didnt think it was as long as the tiles were smudged down a load when fitting.

Is buttering necessary as part of the tiling standards book (sorry I'm not sure what its called) - if it is then the tilers would be to blame but I'm not sure it actually is in there - so I think he's done enough here?

T

Toni

Could it be thermal shock if you turn it on after 28 days and only very very gradually bring it up to heat?

O

One Day

Could be contamination to back of tiles? I'm not familiar with Granfix so can't comment on quality (or lack of).
Definitely should have back-skimmed them though!

O

One Day

That adhesive is gypsum based. Is it an anhydrite floor? Did the tiler prime the floor first?
If he didn't prime the floor, the moisture would have been sucked out into the floor before maximum bond strength could occur.

I

Italy

Thanks Terry, I'd say no to both of those - he was working fresh with the adhesive so there is no way it would skin up and the tiles arent dusty at all really - I just checked an unopened pack and they are fine.

Thanks Antoino - is that absolutely vital? I didnt think it was as long as the tiles were smudged down a load when fitting.

Is buttering necessary as part of the tiling standards book (sorry I'm not sure what its called) - if it is then the tilers would be to blame but I'm not sure it actually is in there - so I think he's done enough here?
UNI standards, he says, over 60cm to the side, buttering.
those tiles, are also made to banana, it is absolutely vital, but it is mandatory.

Reply to Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks