Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Uncoupling membrane in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
I have a floor area approx. 30m to tile. Half is on exterior ply the other half on screed. Will I need to put down a uncoupling membrane over the whole area before I tile. The tiles are ceramic .

D

Daz

In principle, you do not require a decoupling membrane. You will just need to ensure that you have an expansion joint across the point where the two substrates meet.

However, things to consider are:
How stable is the ply floor? i.e. thickness, deflection etc..
Are you putting insulation boards under the UFH? (I presume it is electric UFH)
Do you intend to apply a floor smoothing compound over the UFH?

W

White Room

You will need a control joint between the screed and ply floor, what thickness of ply is fitted

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Jimbo, what thickness is the ply? decoupling also expansion joints to be considered:thumbsup: Thickness of ply important, before we can advise:thumbsup:

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.It is 18mm ply and a wet piped system layed on insulation board. How can I disguise the expansion joint without it looking obvious

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
whilst it will do no harm I would not have thought uncoupling essential with ceramic but the joint is essential.

D

DHTiling

On domestic jobs, you can use what is called a Cold expansion joint.. this is basicly a joint of around 4mm to 6mm and silicone is used.. same colour as the grout to be used..

Mapei do silicones to match all the grouts in the ultra colour range..:thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Dural will make expansion joints to order, and match them to your grout colour
Based in Wakefield
01924 360110

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

On domestic jobs, you can use what is called a Cold expansion joint.. this is basicly a joint of around 4mm to 6mm and silicone is used.. same colour as the grout to be used..

Mapei do silicones to match all the grouts in the ultra colour range..:thumbsup:

A viable alternative to metal expansion joints,but do not have as much longevity ! will inevitably need to be replaced !

Reply to Uncoupling membrane in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks