Discuss Decoupling mat advice in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

rpw866

-
Reaction score
Hi, hoping for some advice.... Had a anhydrite screed laid early Feb. Looking at laying 20mm thick limestone at the end of march. The floor has UFH but the heating system can't be commissioned until the floor is laid-so can't get any heat in the floor.
The stone company advise Kerakoll BIOTEX decoupling membrane. This looks like a thin woven geo fabric sorted of membrane. I'm wondering if something like ditra would be better (although sh#t loads more expensive)??
Also would I need a tile leveling system with 20mm thick 600mm wide free length limestone.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The screed needs to be commissioned prior to tiling. If for any reason you can’t get the main system running , then see about getting a portable boiler system to commission the floor. If you don’t, then you are risking thermal shock.

Reaction score
I have just tiled a floor with under floor heating and once’s it was turned on before tiling cracks appeared which always happens so I wouldn’t tile until it has been commissioned .

rpw866

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Only issue ref getting heat into the UFH is I'm getting an ASHP fitted with hot water cylinder etc and the cylinder and plant will need to sit on the tiles....I thought a decent decoupling membrane mat mitigate against the UFH not being commissioned??

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Only issue ref getting heat into the UFH is I'm getting an ASHP fitted with hot water cylinder etc and the cylinder and plant will need to sit on the tiles....I thought a decent decoupling membrane mat mitigate against the UFH not being commissioned??
Always commission the floor before tiling,period!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hire a temporary boiler. Cheaper than replacing the tiles

Reply to Decoupling mat advice in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks