Search the forum,

Discuss Uncoupling membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
I have a floor area approx. 30m to tile. Half is on exterior ply the other half on screed. Will I need to put down a uncoupling membrane over the whole area before I tile. The tiles are ceramic .

D

Daz

In principle, you do not require a decoupling membrane. You will just need to ensure that you have an expansion joint across the point where the two substrates meet.

However, things to consider are:
How stable is the ply floor? i.e. thickness, deflection etc..
Are you putting insulation boards under the UFH? (I presume it is electric UFH)
Do you intend to apply a floor smoothing compound over the UFH?

W

White Room

You will need a control joint between the screed and ply floor, what thickness of ply is fitted

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Jimbo, what thickness is the ply? decoupling also expansion joints to be considered:thumbsup: Thickness of ply important, before we can advise:thumbsup:

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.It is 18mm ply and a wet piped system layed on insulation board. How can I disguise the expansion joint without it looking obvious

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
whilst it will do no harm I would not have thought uncoupling essential with ceramic but the joint is essential.

Reply to Uncoupling membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen