Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Timber Floor Not Level in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Italy

ok this is a game of poker so first you need to load your hand .i total agree with you and will come back and not leave a bad job behind me that you are not happy with .how much did the tiles cost .so i can get some more .to replace the floor .will she say ok .now you go back put the cash in her hand .and say it wont take me long to chop these up as i cant leave a bad job behind me .you have now paid for the replacements.now you hold all the cards .you wont get to chop any up .just wait for the rest of your money dont leave intill you have it .record all you are saying .every time i have played these cards.i have won .when dealing with rubbish bury them deap
difficult for me..........
thinking-023.GIF
20.gif

Reaction score
you might be lucky,some times the bath panels come in 2 sizes or more.If not drop the bath down and cut tha panel.Failing that would you like me to send my boys round.

F

Flintstone

i wouldn't attempt to level a floor that was sloping like that, I would probably mention it to customer but if that's the shape of the floor that's it really, building the tiles up isn't a good idea and excessive levelling compound on wood floors isn't something I would want to do! I would say if she wants to get a joiner in to make it level.

S

SJPurdy

You could try putting a bit of 2 inch wood across the doorway, topped with 18mm? piece of ply and explain that that will be the height of the step in the doorway!

What were you contracted to do? rebuild the floor and then tile it or just tile it? Almost all the bathroom floors that I have tiled have had a slope on them and so they get a flat tiled with the same slope in the tiles - that is the job I have been contracted to do. If the floor requires levelling then that is the job for a carpenter prior to tiling.

If you have done all the work that you were contracted to do then I would send in an invoice for the work, followed by second invoice (if necessary) with request for payment within 7 days or you will take it to the small claims court.

J

J Sid

Personally I 'would' level the floor unless the client said not to.

As has been seen, not doing that, causes to may other problems.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have Tiled a small bathroom Floor, it is running out of level by about 2 inches. I decided to follow the floor, but the bath panel is now showing that its not level. Should I have made it level and then leave the customer with a 2 inch step up/ dot and dab the tiles as the floors so out or tell the customer it couldn't be helped as their floor was so out!
Any advice would be Great!!

2" is a lot to raise and would leave too big a step at the threshold ( ugly)
Deffo tiling it flat was the way I would have gone ..,but informed her of the issue.
From your picture of bath panel... Doesn't look too bad.. As someone has said lower it from lip and apply white Dow Corning around perimeter...
Your client could be chancing her arm..
Hope you get it sorted..

B

Bill

Doesn't the plumber have a responsibility to make sure bath panel fits correctly then!
Cos if one end is off the floor, it's not correctly fitted is it.
Or is it another case of 'don't worry, tiler will get over it!'
The floor is not 2 inches out of level where the bath sits. Do we know if this isn't a complete refit or just a tiling job by the OP?

J

J Sid

To me it looks like a bath panel, which is not designed to be trimmed.
If this plumber / bathroom fitter is anything like the ones I work with he has put bath in so as not to trim panel and expected the floor to be levelled. Looking at the pic, this looks like mm rather than inches, and should have been easily doable.

L

lmkitchens

You can trim those panels with an angle grinder and slitting disc.

If its a cheap flimsy panel I use solvent free gripfill and glue supports in to beef it up.

If your lucky and its reinforced it will keep its shape just fine. Trim 1/4 inch off to scribe in and it will be lose in the lip of the bath.

Hopefully..

Reply to Timber Floor Not Level in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks