Discuss NoMorePly to new floor for Tiling - fixing advice in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ShaunH

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with new 22mm flooring sheets over.
I’m thinking I need to install 6mm NoMorePly then tile.

I’m assuming the following: -
1) PU adhesive and cement screw fixing for the NoMorePly?
2) primer NoMorePly?
3) lay tiles using flexible adhesive?

Or could I just
1) screw down NoMorePly (no adhesive)
2) no primer, just lay floor tiles on top?

The two small rooms are approx 2.5m2

Thanks all!

ShaunH

-
Reaction score
Me personally? Sbr the new floor, tile mat (prefer ditra) and tile onto that. Makes life a lot easier when you change them.
What is sbr?

I’m a DIY by the way and I would never have thought of using a mat! I don’t have the large roller but is this needed?

Reaction score
So, the sbr primes and seals the timber substrate, and the matting effectively acts as a flexible substrate over the floor, so if there's movement in the timber subfloor it should be absorbed by the matting. It is the best option by far. You can put tile backer boards down, like hardie backer, some new builders use it, but I've been back to a few doing remedial where there's been movement and grout joints have cracked and occasionally tiles debonded. If you use matting allow for 5mm, that's about 3mm for matting and a couple of mm for adhesive.you can sbr the timber and tile straight on it but I'd only advise that if you haven't got the height to use matting.

ShaunH

-
Reaction score
So, the sbr primes and seals the timber substrate, and the matting effectively acts as a flexible substrate over the floor, so if there's movement in the timber subfloor it should be absorbed by the matting. It is the best option by far. You can put tile backer boards down, like hardie backer, some new builders use it, but I've been back to a few doing remedial where there's been movement and grout joints have cracked and occasionally tiles debonded. If you use matting allow for 5mm, that's about 3mm for matting and a couple of mm for adhesive.you can sbr the timber and tile straight on it but I'd only advise that if you haven't got the height to use matting.
Thanks for the info thank you! Much appreciated.

If you can indulge me, would this work; using thin plywood over the 22mm boards, “plenty of nails”, unibond then tile?

Reaction score
I used a lot of products from STS who manufacture no more ply etc. the advice they give around their product range has been invaluable and they generally have something for everything. I wanted to install UFH on an upstairs floor which is joisted and there cement boards , adhesive , tanking solutions, shower back boards, all worked a treat and the tiled floor is perfect!
(Admin edit; removed email as it might spammed on here use the forum private conversations to share deets)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info thank you! Much appreciated.

If you can indulge me, would this work; using thin plywood over the 22mm boards, “plenty of nails”, unibond then tile?
God no, I've done remedial on them for bellway homes, loads of grout cracking and tiles debonding.

Reply to NoMorePly to new floor for Tiling - fixing advice in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks