Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling over 22mm T&G chipboard in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
You could use it over Chipboard if you wanted. I personally would not. Its more work that standard adhesive. 22mm chip board should be fine in my opinion. However personally I don't ever like tiling over chipboard.

I would use a good flexable adhesive under the Backer board and then Tile master S2 to fix the quartz.

Id let the boards dry over night before you start to install the Quartz.

M

Mark1979

You could use it over Chipboard if you wanted. I personally would not. Its more work that standard adhesive. 22mm chip board should be fine in my opinion. However personally I don't ever like tiling over chipboard.

I would use a good flexable adhesive under the Backer board and then Tile master S2 to fix the quartz.

Id let the boards dry over night before you start to install the Quartz.
Thanks, so under the backer board what would you use?

R

Rookery

So you want to fix big expensive quartz tiles onto a suspended unheated timber floor measuring about 7.0 x 6.0. Is that right? My method would be to:
1. Screw timber floor boards to joists.
2. Overlay timber floor with 6mm Hardie backer board.
3. Fix Hardie with appropriate screws and rapid set flexible adhesive.
4. Fix Ditra matting to Hardie with appropriate adhesive.
5. Tile away following manufacturers advice especially following grout size etc but I would imagine minimum 5mm joint. I would expect to see a similar movement joints too - both perimeter and intermediate ones. This is an expensive product so no short measures. Back skim every tile and set in with min 15mm notched trowel.

Of course others may disagree .......

R

Rookery

Adhesives wise, there are many good ones on the market. I almost always use Mapei products which in my eyes are a good comprise between cost, performance, quality and availability.

M

Mark1979

So you want to fix big expensive quartz tiles onto a suspended unheated timber floor measuring about 7.0 x 6.0. Is that right? My method would be to:
1. Screw timber floor boards to joists.
2. Overlay timber floor with 6mm Hardie backer board.
3. Fix Hardie with appropriate screws and rapid set flexible adhesive.
4. Fix Ditra matting to Hardie with appropriate adhesive.
5. Tile away following manufacturers advice especially following grout size etc but I would imagine minimum 5mm joint. I would expect to see a similar movement joints too - both perimeter and intermediate ones. This is an expensive product so no short measures. Back skim every tile and set in with min 15mm notched trowel.

Of course others may disagree .......
Thanks Rookery, interesting you mention back skimming, I used to think it was overkill as pushing down would fill voids without but watched a utube demo on various substrates that convinced me of the merits of covering the back of the tile - much stronger bond - some of the non buttered ones could just be popped whole a week later. I presume you just cover the back of the tile to eliminate voids rather than using the notched bit of the trowel on the tiles like you do for the floor?

In terms of Ditra over the top of Hardie, would that have any material benefit. I initially chose the Hardie route because it was suggested you get a much better bond than with the Ditra and wouldnt the flexible adhesive under the Hardie be doing the same decoupling job that the Ditra is doing?

M

Mark1979

Try Nicobond plastic ply, it's the future!
Hi, I've just googled it and am no expert so please ignore my ignorance, but I'm struggling to understand how this works if everything I've been told about Ditra/Hardie method is correct. How is it better then just tiling on chipboard as surely the plastic mesh just transfers any movement from the wood to the tile?

M

Mark1979

Schlüter®-DITRA 25 | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/ditra-25.aspx

Have a read through this and hopefully it will help. It explains how the Ditra separates the movement from the substrate and the tiles.
Thanks Lee Mac, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, I do understand the logic of the Ditra and Hardie, it's the logic of the plastic ply I'm struggling with. I just dont see how it's any better than just using thicker adhesive on chipboard as the adhesive fills the mesh.

B

Blunt Tool

I’ve never heard of it, could you tell me why it’s so good? I love learning about new materials.
It’s just a plastic self adhesive grid just like the stuff that you can put on the back of mosaics to stiffen them up. Not very impressive tbh

Reply to Tiling over 22mm T&G chipboard in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks