Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DAK

120cm apart cracks suggests along the joints in chipboard rather than joists which would be maximum 60cm apart but mior like 40.

Thanks for the insight. In terms of resolution of this do we need to do something with the chipboard floor? Obviously we need better tiles. Would ply or cement board resolve?

Reaction score
you say that the floor is 40m2, that's a big room, is it 4mx10m, 5mx8m?
7"x2"joists seem a bit light for that size of room unless there is support walls, in the correct places, the quality of the tile shouldn't come into it, or the use of chipboard, i take it the tiles aren't boast? in my experience the better quality the tile the more brittle the tile, the main problem is movement, the fact that it still cracked even with ditra is surprising, there must be too much movement,
fill a glass of water, set it on the floor where there is the most movement and bounce on the floor, if if there is any more than mild ripples the floor isn't supported enough

Reaction score
a 7 inch joist will shrink by around 5-7mm when brought in from the builders merchant under normal conditions, put heated pipes next to it and you could expect maybe another couple of mm, that's what I suspect may have happened but the tile choice is the bigger part of the problem IMHO

N

Nigel cheltenham

I’m a joiner 40 years I have always overlaid chipboard with 18 mm exterior grade ply screwed and fixed every 150 mm lay ply opposite way over chipboard I personally would never tile onto chipboard as I think their would be too much movement in floor

Reply to Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks