Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DAK

120cm apart cracks suggests along the joints in chipboard rather than joists which would be maximum 60cm apart but mior like 40.

Thanks for the insight. In terms of resolution of this do we need to do something with the chipboard floor? Obviously we need better tiles. Would ply or cement board resolve?

Reaction score
you say that the floor is 40m2, that's a big room, is it 4mx10m, 5mx8m?
7"x2"joists seem a bit light for that size of room unless there is support walls, in the correct places, the quality of the tile shouldn't come into it, or the use of chipboard, i take it the tiles aren't boast? in my experience the better quality the tile the more brittle the tile, the main problem is movement, the fact that it still cracked even with ditra is surprising, there must be too much movement,
fill a glass of water, set it on the floor where there is the most movement and bounce on the floor, if if there is any more than mild ripples the floor isn't supported enough

Reaction score
a 7 inch joist will shrink by around 5-7mm when brought in from the builders merchant under normal conditions, put heated pipes next to it and you could expect maybe another couple of mm, that's what I suspect may have happened but the tile choice is the bigger part of the problem IMHO

N

Nigel cheltenham

I’m a joiner 40 years I have always overlaid chipboard with 18 mm exterior grade ply screwed and fixed every 150 mm lay ply opposite way over chipboard I personally would never tile onto chipboard as I think their would be too much movement in floor

Reply to Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen