Discuss Help with lining up wall grout lines in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice.
We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor, and 300 x 600 rectified tiles for our bathroom walls. We are using a satin white on the walls, and a charcoal tile on the back wall of the double shower as a feature wall. The charcoal tiles match our 600 x 600 floor tiles. All to be laid with 2mm grout joints. Well, that was the plan anyway. We have just discovered that the charcoal wall tiles are actually 298.5 x 600, not 300 x 600. This means that the grout lines will not quite match up with the white tiles on the side walls of the shower. How to we overcome this? At this point we are thinking we will need to return them and look for something else. Which would be a shame as they match the floor tiles.

Reaction score
I come across this problem a lot when customers buy tiles thinking they are the same size but a few millimetres out is a problem trying to line them up. You can try use 3mm joints so you have more play trying to line them up but at some point it’s gonna run out as they arnt exactly the same size. If it bothers you that much I suggest finding the exact size so each tile lines up perfectly. If your going for colour matched grout that are the same shade of the tiles helps blend it in if it does run out also if once everything is fitted it isn’t gonna be that noticeable from the floor transition too the wall at the bottom I wouldn’t worry about a few millimetres it’s only more noticeable when you look at a bare room without sanitary ware fitted. Hope this helps !

Reaction score
You can only match up 2 walls minimum unless they are all the same size tile floor and walls this is a recent one we tiled all the same size but only 2 walls can be matched up unless all laid one way.
IMG_5191.jpeg
IMG_5192.jpeg

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. It was were the two walls meet that we have the issue. The floor tiles are fine. We measured out the wall playing with the grout lines, but as we are doing floor to ceiling, as mentioned by Samerlan the futher up we go the further out the grout lines become. We are taking these back and going on the search for new tiles the correct size that will match with the rest of the room. We really wanted to stick with 2mm grout lines, so this seems the best option. Appreciate the replies :)

Reply to Help with lining up wall grout lines in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks