Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

i know it’s a touchy subject some times but after using the genesis levelling system daily for several weeks, it’s flaws are greater than its plus points so I’m after something else. The cheap eBay clips, are the bases too thick? Any other issues with them? Is it worth spending more on plm or alike?

L

LM

What do you see as it’s flaws Andy? I can list a few things that I say are an advantage over say RLS, but I’m keen to hear what you see as it’s faults?
Incedently I use the Block system from day to day now because of economics however if they were the same price I’d go for the Genisis system all day long.

D

Dumbo

I've used genesis , rubi, lash and bright ideas copy of rls which I now use exclusively and have been for over a year. Maybe based are a bit thick but don't cause any problems .
They are cheap about £15 for 250 .

O

Old Mod

I've used genesis , rubi, lash and bright ideas copy of rls which I now use exclusively and have been for over a year. Maybe based are a bit thick but don't cause any problems .
They are cheap about £15 for 250 .
That’s not cheap :)

D

Dumbo

I can't be bothered for what it would save to go the internet plus I like to support my local retailer so he is there when I need him . Also 72p a metre based on 4 clips a tile to £1.08 a mtre based on 6 clips a tile using 600 x 600 tiles isn't a lot of money .

L

LM

Whatever floats your boat, rock with it I say. There’s horses for courses and courses for horses, so long as we achieve the best we can I say!

F

Flintstone

What I like about the genesis is the way you slide the top on so no risk of scratching by sliding wedges in and I like the way you remove them with the gun so no knocking them off Andy no danger of chipping a tile. The problems I see are the gun, at £50 a pop you expect it to be a nice tool but on this job I’ve been through 4 guns, it got to a point that genesis sent me 4 at once! They admitted there has been problems. The tops, a lot of them are fine but some are too loose and you can torque them up because they don’t grip the teeth on the base. The bases have a significant curve to them which can increase the feeling of a tile being bedded when it isn’t, and it also makes it hard to leave a clip in for the next day as you slide it in, the angle it sits at means it doesn’t sit tight to the tile, if that makes sense. Also, the price, very expensive, and if your paying a premium price you want a premium product don’t you.

G

GoneGuy

I use both rls and plm.
Plm have a thinner base than others do ideal for walls in my opinion.
To prevent tiles from being scratched you just have to keep the area clean from adhesive and if you do get adhesive on the wedge ( which could cause scratching) I usually put them in a bucket of weak acid to clean them up

Reply to Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen