Discuss Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

i know it’s a touchy subject some times but after using the genesis levelling system daily for several weeks, it’s flaws are greater than its plus points so I’m after something else. The cheap eBay clips, are the bases too thick? Any other issues with them? Is it worth spending more on plm or alike?

OP
L

LM

What do you see as it’s flaws Andy? I can list a few things that I say are an advantage over say RLS, but I’m keen to hear what you see as it’s faults?
Incedently I use the Block system from day to day now because of economics however if they were the same price I’d go for the Genisis system all day long.

OP
D

Dumbo

I've used genesis , rubi, lash and bright ideas copy of rls which I now use exclusively and have been for over a year. Maybe based are a bit thick but don't cause any problems .
They are cheap about £15 for 250 .

OP
O

Old Mod

I've used genesis , rubi, lash and bright ideas copy of rls which I now use exclusively and have been for over a year. Maybe based are a bit thick but don't cause any problems .
They are cheap about £15 for 250 .
That’s not cheap :)

OP
D

Dumbo

I can't be bothered for what it would save to go the internet plus I like to support my local retailer so he is there when I need him . Also 72p a metre based on 4 clips a tile to £1.08 a mtre based on 6 clips a tile using 600 x 600 tiles isn't a lot of money .

OP
L

LM

Whatever floats your boat, rock with it I say. There’s horses for courses and courses for horses, so long as we achieve the best we can I say!

OP
F

Flintstone

What I like about the genesis is the way you slide the top on so no risk of scratching by sliding wedges in and I like the way you remove them with the gun so no knocking them off Andy no danger of chipping a tile. The problems I see are the gun, at £50 a pop you expect it to be a nice tool but on this job I’ve been through 4 guns, it got to a point that genesis sent me 4 at once! They admitted there has been problems. The tops, a lot of them are fine but some are too loose and you can torque them up because they don’t grip the teeth on the base. The bases have a significant curve to them which can increase the feeling of a tile being bedded when it isn’t, and it also makes it hard to leave a clip in for the next day as you slide it in, the angle it sits at means it doesn’t sit tight to the tile, if that makes sense. Also, the price, very expensive, and if your paying a premium price you want a premium product don’t you.

OP
G

GoneGuy

I use both rls and plm.
Plm have a thinner base than others do ideal for walls in my opinion.
To prevent tiles from being scratched you just have to keep the area clean from adhesive and if you do get adhesive on the wedge ( which could cause scratching) I usually put them in a bucket of weak acid to clean them up

OP
L

LM

I think the vertical clamping of Genisis is better than the lateral action of other systems. It’s better imo because there’s no chance of a tile moving out of position while you clamp it, which is something you have to be careful with with others. As said also this means you don’t scratch any delicate surfaces. I like the versatility of the range of thickness that it can accommodate also.
In regards leaving clips in at the end of the day for the following morning and the clips sitting at a bad angle, simply leave a dry tile or two on the exposed side of the clip and the next day it’s not an issue.
You do make a good point about the quality of the product for its price. Tops do tend to wear out and need replaced after a while. I only have the manual pliers and they also wear out. That’s a problem they do need to sort out. That said RLS wedges can break too easily as well.
As I said I use the Block clips because of value, Genesis are too expensive for most jobs by comparison.

OP
F

Flintstone

Having never used a wedge system, I’ve got a couple of nice floors in January totalling about 60m so want to try a new system on these

OP
S

Spare Tool

Andy I've tried various systems but the eBay clips with raymondi pliers are all I use now, good strong clips and value for money. Just order a small batch of clips and wedges to try before going bulk if your not sure.
Never scratched a tile with them yet, although fitted some large unglazed ceramic on the wall and after chipping a couple when removing clips in normal manner had to be very careful with the rest.
My plumber managed to chip some porc but that's cuz he was using a lump hammer to remove before I stopped him

OP
B

Blunt Tool

I have used the wedge and clip Mustangs and learned by experience that if they are in tight eg using the 2 or 3 mm clips as spacer aswell then you have a good chance of chipping tile when taking wedges out. I only use the thin Rubi quick system now, easily available ( CTD and others) , vertical clamping, guns and clips etc competitively priced with discount, and very easy to use and uninstall as long as you use spacers aswell so clips are not in tight. I would say it is ease of availability that I choose them and really only use them on larger format tiles 600mm and above.

andy-p

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Used the Genesis system on a 20m2 floor recently , tiles were 600x600 polished porcelain rectified edge and i was very happy with the finished result , you have to ensure the clip is tight to the tile if you're leaving the next row off as it can end up leaving too big a gap , had to pull out 2 or 3 that werent seated properly also can confirm the clamping pliers are not good only lasted halfway through the next job , took them back to CTD who are aware of the problem.

OP
S

Spare Tool

Thats the ones Andy, they are a slightly thicker bases but use a 12mm trowel and you'll be fine, id recommend 200 wedges and 600 clips to give them a proper go, I just get 2000 clips at a time now for £80 ;)

OP
D

Dumbo

Tile Levelling Spacers and clips for Raimondi Levelling System 1.5mm Qty 2000

£7.99
This is what I read

OP
Q

Qwerty

Screenshot_20171224-224650.png

OP
D

Dumbo

Come on we all know how to work eBay by now don’t we!
I'm just simple country folk . You know what they say wiltshire born and bred , strong in arm and thick in head.
Except I'm not one of those things . I will leave it to you to figure which one

OP
S

Spare Tool

Good move Andy, you won't be disappointed :) I bought some myself the other day and supplier is away till new year but sure they'll sort you out soon as possible, don't usually mess about with dispatching.
Your thread and off topic but bought a deeper pro sonar in a mad boxing day shopping spree....coming tomorrow apparently so I'll let you know on that after I've had a play with it ;)

Reply to Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer