Search the forum,

Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rookery

How many times have we heard 'I've always done it that way and it's never failed', lots. What these cowboys dont realise is that often the unfortunate homeowner wont have them back in the house and so they dont know the extent of their failings.

D

DHTiling

How did they manage to nick the contract, must have been good talkers....but that was it.

Cheap as chips... they used then when i was busy on a job and then it went from there.. so so many calls backs they had, i spent ages putting some jobs right or in a few cases re-tiling them..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I remember doing a job for a lady about 6 or 7 years ago. She'd had a guy in who she got out of the Yellow Pages. Replaced the taps on bath and basin, make and tile a bath panel and tile floor. Sounds easy enough.

First time she used the bath, down came the kitchen ceiling. I got a call as I used to do a bit of work through Bathstore and the customer went there to get the whole bathroom changed.

When I went to look at it, he'd taken the bath out to put the taps on, broken 50% of the tiles above the bath and then just siliconed the broken bits back on. He had tile a bath panel but the reason the ceiling came down was the fact he had not connected the waste back up after having the bath out, and a full bath of water came through.

The floor came up easy enough as he'd tiled directly on to vinyl floor. If the tiles had of been flexible I'd have just rolled it all up. :lol:

When I spoke to the customer she said he had told her 30 years of experience and never been back to a customers in all that time.

S

stusgsx

Took these photos a couple of years ago from a plot of 4 new build houses each selling for 1.2 million. This work was done by another "tiler" on site. I had to redo one of the floors he had laid but this room was fine?!

poor tiling.jpg poor tiling (3).jpg poor tiling (4).jpg poor tiling (5).jpg poor tiling (6).jpg poor tiling (2).jpg

T

True Tiling

Crazy expensive. I've come across 2 jobs like this. Bonded tiles with grab adhesive on walls which created a real nightmare to take off. The bond was good, but due to spot-fixing, the damp was really bad. Massive headache to remove!

D

Dim MiM

Recently, Our tiler went to a job where the couple were tring to save money by diy. The results were they had used grout as adhesive, adhesive as as grout, the tiles were upside down(patten) it was rather funny and cost quite alot to replaceas they had hand made, hand painted tiles with a set design of a tree. Goes to show, better to pay the pro than have a goe yourself :)

I

Ian

Went out for a couple of beers last night, there's a new cider bar opened. Very nicely refurbished place, until you get to the toilets, I quite literally laughed out loud!

jenenu7u.jpg

ujyhedam.jpg

pe3e7emu.jpg

ysutyved.jpg

yhezy5y2.jpg

yse2edyd.jpg

vege6ety.jpg

u6u3e9e8.jpg

A

Ambercat

I had that recently, idiot must have run out of adhesive as last 20 tiles were stuck on with white silicone (all tile on tile). Took a lot of time and effort to get off :incazzato:

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen