Discuss Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This customer was charged £3k for tiling alone in this bathroom by a builder. As I understand it it it still ongoing as to to payment and the remedy for all the problems.

This is just a sample of photos I took when I had to give an opinion on it. I told them they really needed to rip the whole lot out at the builders cost.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo4.jpg photo5.jpg photo6.jpg

Apologies for the creak in the neck after looking at these :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

They are classic don't have a clue about tiling pics John, deffo a descendant of John wayne . :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Line 'em up barman, the horse is tied up outside :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I wonder if the people who do work to this level ever stand back and look at their work and think, that doesn't quite look right. Or do they look at it and think that looks great.

It's just beyond me.

D

DHTiling

I wonder if the people who do work to this level ever stand back and look at their work and think, that doesn't quite look right. Or do they look at it and think that looks great.

It's just beyond me.

These 2 tilers that did it , ye 2 of them :lol: .. took a contract off me from a kitchen/bathroom comp .. they turned this type of work out day in day out till this happened at one of the salesman for the comps home :lol: ... let's say i got the contract back .. :):):)

R

Rookery

I went to price up a job last night, a recommendation from a previous customer of mine. Builders did some alterations 12 months ago. Bathroom 1 - ceramics dot n dabbed straight onto chipboard. Its failed.
Bathroom 2 - ceramics dot n dabbed straight onto chipboard. Its failed too, I can lift some tiles with my fingers.
En-suite - Acrylic shower tray rocking in 1 corner when you stand on it, probably the leg not tightened up. Its caused the silicone to pull away from the junction of wall and tray. Also the corners are only siliconed half way up, the top half is grout and its significantly cracked.
A few other minor issues - 1 WC pan has only one screw in it, the other side being filled with silicone. They'd tried to hide this by siliconing a screw cover cap on. The other WC pan screwed down but an offcut of some blue plastic used to prevent the screwhead damaging the pottery. In other words a bit of a botch up. Neither W/B pedestal screwed down and the tiles behind both pedestals poorly cut and pieced in to save drilling holes for the feeds. There's probably more to be uncovered as the job progresses.

W

White Room

How did they manage to nick the contract, must have been good talkers....but that was it.

R

Rookery

How many times have we heard 'I've always done it that way and it's never failed', lots. What these cowboys dont realise is that often the unfortunate homeowner wont have them back in the house and so they dont know the extent of their failings.

D

DHTiling

How did they manage to nick the contract, must have been good talkers....but that was it.

Cheap as chips... they used then when i was busy on a job and then it went from there.. so so many calls backs they had, i spent ages putting some jobs right or in a few cases re-tiling them..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I remember doing a job for a lady about 6 or 7 years ago. She'd had a guy in who she got out of the Yellow Pages. Replaced the taps on bath and basin, make and tile a bath panel and tile floor. Sounds easy enough.

First time she used the bath, down came the kitchen ceiling. I got a call as I used to do a bit of work through Bathstore and the customer went there to get the whole bathroom changed.

When I went to look at it, he'd taken the bath out to put the taps on, broken 50% of the tiles above the bath and then just siliconed the broken bits back on. He had tile a bath panel but the reason the ceiling came down was the fact he had not connected the waste back up after having the bath out, and a full bath of water came through.

The floor came up easy enough as he'd tiled directly on to vinyl floor. If the tiles had of been flexible I'd have just rolled it all up. :lol:

When I spoke to the customer she said he had told her 30 years of experience and never been back to a customers in all that time.

S

stusgsx

Took these photos a couple of years ago from a plot of 4 new build houses each selling for 1.2 million. This work was done by another "tiler" on site. I had to redo one of the floors he had laid but this room was fine?!

poor tiling.jpg poor tiling (3).jpg poor tiling (4).jpg poor tiling (5).jpg poor tiling (6).jpg poor tiling (2).jpg

T

True Tiling

Crazy expensive. I've come across 2 jobs like this. Bonded tiles with grab adhesive on walls which created a real nightmare to take off. The bond was good, but due to spot-fixing, the damp was really bad. Massive headache to remove!

Reply to Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks